Help me differentiate between love and lust?

So help me figure this out.. what is the diffrence between those two.. it can be anything from gestures, definitions whatever you feel.. please help

Most Helpful Girl

• That's a good question cuz I think many people get the two terms confused. I would say lust is purely sexual desire to have something or someone, when you are Just physically/sexually attracted to someone & all u think about is wanting to sleep with them or constantly thinking about their body. Someone might think so much about a person that they might say to themesleves, "if i dont have his/her body, i will die" or "god that guy or woman is so sexy, i got to hit that or ill go crazy". These are over exaggerated examples but im trying to drive the point that the sexual desire & tension is strong, which I feel is lusting. That's why they say ur lusting after someone. This is why I think when people get together & sleep together its fun for just that night, then the feeling of lust is over cuz it was such a strong emotion built up in u for so long, so after sleeping together the excitement & tension is over.

I think people get the two mixed up cuz u can be sexually attracted to someone u love and want to sleep with them but they think cuz i desire that person so much or it feels so good to be with that person sexually, i must love them. Only thing is it think love is something that gradually forms over sometime & Love Is more of a deeper emotion & connection, which usually can happen in a committed relationship. Also, when in love u want to be with that person forever & be committed to them, more than just sex. Also, love is self-sacrificing, and u do anything for that person. Its not just emotion but its also shown through ones actions, such as taking care of them. You show them u love them, not just only say it. Sorry for long explanation, Overall, i say the difference is that lust is more of a sexual desire & love is more of a deeper emotion and long lasting commitment to a person, not just sexually. Hope this helps. :)

What Guys Said 4

• Lust is when you want somebody sexually and kind of like a fling and or a friends with benefits type of thing. And love I would define is when you care for the person and would do anything for that special person in your life. Also I think love means being more dedicated to the person for something serious and long term relationship.

• Love is concerned with the spirit.

Lust is concerned with the body.

• Honestly I might be too young to tell, but if you two are only truly happy after sex, then it's lust. If you two can't make each other smile and feel perfectly content, OUTSIDE of the bedroom, then it's lust. Does that mean there shouldn't be ANY sex in a relationship? No that's crazy.

• Love is a choice, not just an emotion (which is why most "love" is not love).

If you are in a long-term relationship, you are not always going to be attracted to the person you are with. Do you leave at that point? A lot of people do (childishly chasing after transient feelings and believing things can't become exciting again, but that's another matter). Love is the choice to stay and commit yourself to something beyond fleeting emotions.

What Girls Said 2

• I think the most simple way of looking at it is that lust is being concerned with what someone can do for you, and love is what you can do for the other person.

That's why it hurts to be a victim of lust, it is a selfish emotion that does not involve the heart at all.

• Love is a feeling of passion in which you want a persons heart, lust is a fiery feeling of passion in which you want that person sexually, so bad you can't stand it. Like lust is wanting someone so bad you'll do anything. Lust can be passionate and loving though too.