Women: would you dump a guy if he told you he'd had leg lengthening surgery?

I'm 5'8, considering doing surgery to get to 5'11. If you were dating someone and he told you he'd had leg lengthening surgery, would you stick with him (assuming you're totally into him in every other way), or would that be a dealbreaker?

• No Problem - I'd understand
  • Dealbreaker - I'd break up with him
*Note: if kids' height were a concern - I'd plan on giving any of my sons HGH if it looked like they'd be below average height.
**Several women said that giving kids HGH would be a deal-breaker. Why? I'm not arguing, just curious. HGH is safe, and for men it absolutely gives them dating benefits later on in life (at least in our current society). Why would you not want your sons to have that advantage?

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally, I'd stay with him, his height isn't what made me fall in love with him, although I'm happy to be with a 5'8 guy because I'm only 5'6 and I wouldn't want to look any more of a midget than I already do. To these people who say it is a deal breaker because it is extreme and shows insecurity I don't understand how this is any different to girls getting boob jobs or liposocution, lip fillers or botox. If someone is insecure about something who is anyone but them to judge whether or not they should do something to make themselves feel better about it. On the other hand I can't believe you would be so hateful about height that you would give you children growth hormones, honestly that is the part that is a dealbreaker. Do what you like but know that you don't have to change a thing and don't force your views onto others. Good Luck

• HGH is a deal breaker mainly because it is your insecurity not theirs. for example you didn't like the size of your nose and your children had the same large nose and you took them into surgery as children to get their nose fixed. They didn't have a problem with the size of their nose, now they can go through life feeling ashamed that they weren't good enough and their father, who is supposed to love them no matter what, had to change their appearance for his views of societal acceptance. Do you see how damaging that is. It isn't a question of the procedure or hormones being unsafe it is a matter of extreme mental instability and insecurity. A few years ago, massive gaps in teeth were considered beautiful so everyone went and got gaps drilled into their teeth now where are those people? getting their teeth filled in because fads and fashions change. Don't despise a part of yourself so much that you ingrain that way of thinking into your children, it is detrimental to their development.

What Girls Said 19

• dealbreaker. we're all insecure but to get surgery of that nature is just too much. sounds... mentally unhealthy.

• Isn't that surgery very very painful? And takes a couple years to fully accomplish, so it's not like flash in the pan painful, it's month after month of pain? Dear god man stay 5'8. Please. I can't even bear to think about it.

• I'd still be taller than you so I doubt that you would be okay with that. I'd understand if there is a medical reason for the surgery, but if not then it's coming from a place of insecurity which is a much deeper problem.

The fact that you'd willingly give your kids HGH to make them grow bigger is a deal breaker in itself, though. Wow.

• I'm actually perfectly happy with my height - I love 5'8. But height seems to have gotten more important in the last few years (I was out of the dating market for quite a while), and a good number of women apparently don't love 5'8.

I can't change the world, but I can change myself, and I want to give my (hypothetical) kids every advantage possible.

• I'm glad you're happy with your height, really. It took me many years to be happy with mine. I'm 6'1" and used to think that all guys wanted short girls lol.

• I think your height is terrific. I think most confident guys will date women of any height, as long as they're attractive.

• The relationship wouldn't get that far, if I was going out with a guy, who was so insecure about his height, he thought of getting surgery to make himself taller. That is just plain sad.

I would smell the insecurities from miles away and there would be no second date. I'd rather be with a short CONFIDENT man, than a tall pile of teen whinings.

Also, you're NUTS, if you plan on giving your kids growth hormones. The fact that you don't even know why that's a bad idea is a HUGE red flag. I'd dump you, because you're mentally unstable and intellectually decrepit.

• What's HGH?

Well, I would stay with him, but I really wouldn't want him to go through that. :/
    I'm 4'11, so 5'8 seems to tall to me. But even if he were like 5'2, I wouldn't mind. I wouldn't want him to get it, but I'd support him regardless.

I want to get a boob job, and this is a dealbreaker for many guys. I'm literally doing this for myself cuz apparently surgeries make a person the ugliest and worse thing in the world and no one will wanna date me.

So while some people may understand or be ok with your decision, not all will.
    I wouldn't really want him to, but I'd support his decision.

• HGH stands for Human Growth Hormone

• @Gypsygoddess oh I see. Thanks.

@Asker unless my child absolutely needed that for some medical reason, than no. I wouldn't support that all.
      Either way, I don't want kids. But if I had any, I wouldn't give them HGH.

• what's wrong with staying 5'8?

• I'd obviously stay with him but I'd much rather he wouldn't go through with that!

• I would not mind. But I would wonder why he needed because 5'8 seems fine.
    I have an aunt like you she has problems related with her legs. And she goes surgery many times to fill her legs. ( her legs are originally distorted a bit) Everything about her is great, she is awesome but this obsession she has , makes me worry about her i say.
    Let the people love you as you are. Looks are not everything.

• Deal breaker. Would question your mental stability.

• It wouldn't be a deal breaker depending on your reasoning. Willingly doing it out of a place of insecurity might be an issue... I also happen to think 5'8 is the perfect height seeing as I am 5'6.5. If you had a problem with me wearing high heels, though, that would be a deal beaker. Not that I even wear high heels that often. Giving your kids HGH willingly just because they might be shorter is a definite deal breaker for me.

• for me its a deal breaker

• Not a problem for me. In reality I would like to have it done myself only to one leg though. It's close to an inch shorter then the other one.

• It doesn't really matter to me I would just say I would have liked 5'8 as much or more may be

• I wouldn't break off with him but this decision would make me worried for his health

• I don't like superficial surgeries like that so I'd leave him. Seriously that's just too much. 5'8 isn't even that bad.

• Would you be able to walk properly after the surgery?

• Personally, it would be a deal breaker for me. You'd still be taller than me before doing that so I wouldn't see the need to do it.

• How does one lengthen their legs?

• In just 3 painful steps..
      1. Bone dissection (artificial fracture). This is the location where additional length can be added.
      2. Artificial regeneration process, prolonged by distraction (gradual bone part separation at an average speed of 1 mm a day). The 'young' bone is stretched to a planned length, and is totally formed (ossified) only after distraction is terminated.
      3. muscle and tendon stretching

• I see no problem with a guy being 5'8" and don't think surgery's necessary, but I wouldn't leave him over getting it. Planning on giving any potential sons HGH is a deal breaker, though.

• Why not give sons HGH? I'm not arguing, just curious. It's safe, and would give them quite a few advantages.

What Guys Said 6

• Girls above all want you to be comfortable with yourself, for who you are. I think you are better off sitting at 5'8" at being happy with what you were given than going to an extensive surgery to "enhance" that.

Ask yourself this, is the girl you are going to be in love with accept of your height right now? Or would she really want you to go through with that surgery to "fix" something? I'd be willing to bet it's the first.

• Thanks, man. I actually am pretty comfortable with myself. It's more just that I've missed out on 1-2 potentially great relationships, and in both cases I'm pretty sure that the reason was height-related. If someone dumped me due to differences in smarts, goals, values, sense of humor, etc, I'd say "yeah, we weren't meant to be." But I don't consider my height to be core to my personality - I'm happy to change it if that'll help me find a wonderful relationship.

• Don't break your legs! Buy taller shoes!

• 5'8 isn't short dude... be serious.

• Seems a bit odd to give your sons HGH. Of all the things you would want to give them an advantage in you spend it on that. Very weird.

• You've gone mad have'nt you?

• Typical, girls expect guys to stand with them getting breast enlargement or reduction, but if a guy does something similar it would be a deal breaker.

Double Standards to the max

• Girls get breast reduction often for medical purposes, you realize that right?

• The double standard is that these GIRLS are expecting guys to be ok with it while the girls here would not accept a guy getting surgery for his insecurity

• Typical, some bitter guy skipped through so many comments of girls accepting, even when the poll suggests that the majority of women would understand and not dump him.

Dumbasses to the max.