Are men uncomfortable dating a woman with much higher education?

I am finishing doctorate level degree and he didn't graduafe from community college and is older than me.

My bf and I had religion in common. I was so good to him and he suddenly shut me out cold with no warning he just withdrew so I dumped him

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it depends more on you - you're not going to be having intelligent conversations, perhaps ever (this is a generalisation of course). It depends how important to you being able to connect with someone else on that intellectual level is. To be, it's almost everything. But connecting with someone intellectually, and booksmarts, are mutually exclusive. Even as someone with a high education (two degrees in physics, just not a doctorate) I actually find ti difficult to connect with girls currently doing their PhD's (I've dated 2, currently on my third when she gets back from overseas). It's more a personality thing. So no, I'm not uncomfortable, for me it's the norm. Note that the girls I've dated have been in veterinary scince/stats (sh'es a vet with research interests) and an English literary analysis. I can't *really* talk to them about what they do, because there's eight years of study and different protocols. They have a "different" education to me. And I find that interesting.

What Guys Said 12

• Level of formal education does not equal level of intelligence. I think it would be tough for 2 people of very different levels of intelligence to relate and make a relationship work over the long term (not saying never though). But there are all sorts of reasons why people smart enough to go to college don't, all it means is their life took a different path and there's no reason at all why a relationship wouldn't work.

The only way I could see it being a problem is if one of them made it a problem with their attitude, either him having a chip on his shoulder about it and being resentful, or her feeling superior and lording it over him.

• No not at all. This is a common myth staryed by bitchy women with advanced degrees. Most men they date have less education, and when they get dumped it didn't have anything to do with them, its the male ego bs aboutbeing intimidated by them. It is not the education its tjeir peronality.

The truth is as long as you dont think or treat him less BECAUSE of the education gap, the vast majority of men dont cate about that, they are more interested in you.

• I don't think a relationship can work unless both parties are at roughly the same level of intelligence. It's that, more than education or even knowledge, that is pivotal, I think.

When I was at university, there was such a variation of intelligence among even students taking the same subject, and even though it was a top university!

• No. It's actually a plus point. Obviously.

• Frankly, I don't care about female education at all, so that wouldn't be a problem.
    As long as she's not rubbing into my face the fact that she's more educated on a paper.

• It wouldn't bother me, because the intelligence level is still likely to be about equivalent. I think that matters more.

• Not at all, women are women and girls are girls. No matter what level of education.

• Not me. If anything, it turns me on. As long as you don't rub it in my face, who cares?

• I just read that if the woman has a higher degree there is a much greater likelihood of divorce as she will look down on the man.

• Men are not uncomfortable with smart / educated women. Men ARE turned off by the attitude that often comes along with that. Big difference.

• Why would he? Do you feel like you are superior to others due to your long stay in college?

• I'm not.

...

What Girls Said 4

• You guys don't have much in common. Your lifestyles & world view are probably a lot different. Education was obviously way more important to you and you likely are in different tax brackets? Sometimes lack of common ground can be a down fall because you won't understand their outlook on life and there may be respect issues

• Men do not have a issue with women who have a higher education if you have a bad attitude and are unattractive to him, of course he will find that a turn off

• You did the right thing by dumping him. If a guy is uncomfortable with you having a higher degree, then he doesn't deserve you.

• Both my dad and my uncle are less educated than the women they are married to. My brother also usually seems to end up dating girls with more education than him.