How intelligent is your ideal partner?

Almost everyone says that they want to be with someone who is intelligent, but how intelligent is ideal? Do you just want someone who is of average intelligence? Or do you want a genius?
Also, are you capable of being with someone who is intellectually superior?

The examples are not denigrating those who work in the profession, they are examples of the best jobs that these types of people could get, given sufficient effort.

• Average e. g. accountant, teacher
  • Above average - smarter than most, e. g. average doctor/lawyer/engineer
  • Very smart - smarter than almost everyone, e. g. decent surgeon/scientist/CEO
  • Incredibly smart - smarter than 99.9% everyone, e. g. top scientist, top surgeon
  • Genius - e. g. absolute best of everyone in respective profession

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, I guess I've refined this over the years. I 'used' to be the really intellectual, thought about things and took stances that most people my age didn't at that time, etc... but I eventually exhausted myself with always engaging my mind in things, so I stopped to recover. I realized from that, that I could still be an intelligent person, do 'normal' things, and I wouldn't be degrading myself.

So with all that being said, if a girl was intelligent to actually be fun talking to and discussing things with, great. She doesn't need to be well-read, intellectual, or her intelligence is the first thing you notice after her appearance. If she has control over herself, can guide her mind to where she knows it will be best served for any given situation, etc... then that's fine by me.

Girls that play stupid are probably the single most annoying thing to me. I have no idea why being a ditz is considered cute, but I've seen it happen anyway. I want a girl that is intelligent enough to have a good sense of humor, can recognize sarcasm, has a charming wit about her, and can just generally hold her own on a mental level. Anything more than that is gravy on the potatoes :)

What Guys Said 12

• The more iltellectual a person is, generally the more socially defunct. You can't be both. I struggle to perceive to equate being "the best in your field" somehow means more intelligence. By that reasoning, Paris Hilton is more intelligent than Richard Dawkins. "Accountant" ranks high in intelligence for me. I'm a journal -published physicist (among other things). FYI. Don't define someone by the luck in life they had. Because that's all is the difference between me and a neckbeard who owns at starcraft - luck.

• Yes I'd like to have a partner who got good profession like teacher/doctor/lawyer/engineer etc. But I don't values such thing in intelligence. Her logical decision making capabilities in real life is what I'm looking for.
    Common sense > Cramming intelligence.

• As, or more intelligent, as myself
    I'm very picky when it comes to this
    sort of stuff.

I expect the same from my partner
    as I, myself can provide.

I dislike having to hold my tongue
    in a conversation and to explain things
    that I find, to be a simple matter. ^.~

• I just want a reasonably smart, career-minded woman... doesn't matter what level of education really, as long as she's classy and articulate and isn't ratty and dumb. Education isn't everything. No real preference on what type of work she does... I'm picky enough, I don't need to date a woman with a PhD lol.

I just want a girl that I'm attracted to, that's smart and fun... If she's like, super highly educated too, great, but I'm not going to limit myself to that.

• I'm intelligent enough that I can get along with even geniuses, as I know from my own experience. Of course, she would know more about her field than I would, but our everyday conversation wouldn't be about that anyway. The more intelligent, the better. The same goes for every other quality.

• It doesn't matter to me. Anything above 70 IQ is OK. Maybe even lower than that.

• That's a below average iq
      And IQs don't count
      IQs r BS

• Yea that's well below average, like the bottom 5%. So? Are you really going to eliminate half the population because they are below average intelligence?

IQs are not total BS. They are just limited and need to be taken for what they are. By what other method is there to gauge intelligence? Education is an even worse indicator than IQ. I usually just go by talking with them. If I can carry on a conversation with them then it's fine with me.

• Did you really just label engineers and doctors as "above average" rather than "very smart"? Especially considering engineers are practically scientists and surgeons are practically doctors, but whatever.

I don't care what her intelligence is as long as it's average or above. Stupidity is annoying.

• I said average doctor and average engineer. Do you really think that the general practitioner down the road is in the top few percentile for intelligence? I don't think so.

• No and I agree with you, but what I'm saying is profession doesn't always equal intelligence.

If you wanted a better poll I think either just sorting professions together or giving intelligence levels by themselves would have been better.

• I wanna date Einstein's daughter

• women version of Sherlock Holmes...

• i meant female version...

• I would so not want. Sherlock Holmes. They are already pretty good at knowing everything is going on and I need a little wiggle room.

• I didn't know being an accountant means you are average. Damn, I should plan to get a better job then.

• I am a genius but there are still women who are smarter than me and teach me new things everyday @questioner1991

• Assuming everything else would be equal (such as social skills, friendliness, compassion etc.) than the smarter the better.

• CEO's don't need to be smart... just lacking a conscience. Scoring highly on a psychopathy test is what they want not a high IQ.

• Not necessarily. I did say a decent CEO. You don't get to the top of a big company by simply not caring about others.

• Of course, but it is a useful (perhaps necessary) skill for that line of work.

What Girls Said 9

• I want someone smart you know. It does not matter what occupation he does. Plus, emotional intelligence is something different, regardless of intellect.
    I want someone who understands me , before I need to tell myself everytime. You know silent communication. Yeah that is what I want.

• Ideally someone who has slightly higher intelligence than me, I still want intelligent conversation but I would like to be able to learn and gain from my partner, not constantly be the smartest in the house and unable to engage in further stimulating conversation because I feel like I have to teach him everything before we can have a conversation about it. I also don't want to constantly feel dumb because he has to teach me everything before we can talk about it either

• same or more intelligent than myself. i wouldn't be able to be in a relationship with someone i believe I'm smarter than. i would destroy such a person lol.

• Smarter than most...
    My dad is a chemical engineer and my mom
    Is a housewife
    And she has the easiest mothers life ever
    So my ideal partner has to be an engineer or a doctor
    And anways my family won't apporove of anything less than that, so why would I even try

• I'm content with average as long as they aren't that stupid and are open to learning or talking about new things.

• I think accountants a bit above average intelligence.

• I want someone on the same level as me, or a bit higher.

• I vote B. Not a weird genius.

• The trick here is choosing someone SO smart on this scale w/o them
    1. losing their sense of humor
    2. being incapable of driving a car (Einstein), going in the out door constantly, not being a team member in daily duties like an absent-minder professor type
    3. losing their abilities to play sports
    4. losing their ability to stay attractive
    5. draining their lust for sex