Boyfriend is making me self-conscious about my weight?

I am a petite girl 164cm and I am 47 kg. Ever since I got together with this guy we have been dining out and I have gained up to 3 kg of weight. I have noticed in photos that I am chubbier. Boyfriend constantly pinches my cheeks and calls me chubby. However I have been very active since the past month and exercising more. Now I am 48 kg. Everytime I go out with my boyfriend he would play with the fats on my arm and cheeks and teased my chubbiness. Now this might be a playful thing, but I felt like he was being an arsehole when he measured my waist yesterday and said, "You've been exercising? No you havent!"
I was wearing one of those really tight pants that squeezes any ounce of belly fat up and I guess he felt that part.
Should I feel offended? Or is this normal for a guy to do this?
I feel like everyone tells me I'm skinny and fine the way I am except my boyfriend!!

** I was 47kg, gained to 50kg, now im 48kg

Most Helpful Girl

• Me and my boyfriend do that to each other all the time and neither of us is fat. It's never in mean nature, just for shits and giggles.

You shouldn't really listen to the people, who claim he's being an ass, because tone and attitude play a huge role in telling what your boyfriend actually meant, so without that we can't really give you proper advice. People today are so sensitive, they'll just assume ANY jokes about weight are meant to be malicious.

It's up to you to decide whether he's being horrible or just poking fun, because you're there experiencing it. If it's making you feel bad, then by all means speak to your boyfriend and tell him it's hurting your feelings.

Also, you sound VERY underweight even at 50kg, it's a bit concerning.

What Guys Said 5

• Since we don't have enough definitive evidence on your boyfriend, we shouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions and assume he is an asshole (or an innocent angel). Based on the information you've provided (especially age), it sounds like you both might be new to 'serious' dating, and he might just be teasing you. You described yourself as a petite girl (100 lbs -> '47kg' in my country is a pretty average weight), so perhaps you are being a little too self conscious as well and your boyfriend is joking because he doesn't actually think you put on a significant amount of weight.

In any case if this really bothers you, you should just talk to him about it, chances are this is just a simple misunderstanding/miss-communication :).

• dont take it too personally, he means no harm
    also bf% is not synonymous with weight
    weight also depends on skeletal structure and musculr development as well as fluids retained in the body, you can easily lose 1kg of weight in a day worth of water weight

• If he's talking about it and "teasing" you about it, he likely cares and has an issue with you gaining weight. By what you say you sound really thin though.

• How many lbs is 47kg?

• You're right, your boyfriend is being an asshole and what he's doing whether it's intentional or not is eroding your self-esteem and confidence, it's actually a form of abuse.

Next time comment on how small and cute his penis is and see if he likes the taste of his own medicine. I'm telling you now, if you want to take a guy down a peg or six, you'll call his manhood small and nothing will hurt him and batter his ego quite like that comment.

• Yeah, lets just throw random insults out of spiteful misunderstanding, because that will always make a relationship better.

Fantastic advice!

• Clear, honest and respectful* sorry :s

• Hooking swan you are wrong. You must fight fire with fire.

What Girls Said 4

• I'm 46 kg and 155 cm
    I think your bfs being an ass because
    Im underweight, and your taller than me and u weigh 2 kgs more, most likely you are skinny too.
    And he should do that.
    Next time he does that tell him
    "Shut up, you fatty, you wiegh more than me!"

• If he likes putting you down, for any reason, you should break up with him. It's not his fault though, if he's no longer attracted to you physically (maybe he only likes thinner types) but he could be a man about it and explain this to you in a respectful and non judgmental way.. instead he seems to like being a passive aggressive bully?
    It's just a few pounds though and you ARE working out to lose weight so.. Just break up with him.

• We just have the same height but I'm only 40kg. I am someone who is very conscious of my body. I do exercises 3-4 times a week. I know my bofriend really like my body so I'm doing my best to stay fit and sexy. I don't have belly fats. I have a very firm stomach, 22 inches waist and 33 inches hip. I have a big bum and it looks amazing. I say it's good to feel that way (conscious) so you'll be motivated to work-out and make your body stay fit. I'm your body doesn't like you getting chubbier so he just tell you through touching your fats and calling you chubby. He just can tell you straight to your face that he doesn't want you getting chubbier. Proper diet and exercise. You need that!

• *I'm sure your boyfriend doesn't like you getting chubbier*

• No it's not normal and very rude actually. He sounds like an asshole but then what do I know? I don't know him personally. You have insecurities just like any other girl so you don't need someone to add to them but eases them and encourages you to improve yourself.