How long to date someone before getting married?

Usually, how long do people date someone before getting married on average? My boyfriend is 25 I'm 18 if that makes a difference.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm ASTOUNDED at how fast people get married, I just don't understand the rush. Doesn't make anyone less likely to leave, it just makes it more of a pain in the ass. I read some smart thing once by a professional scientician, and they said that the human brain is more prone to essentially lustful infatuation the first year and a half or so, and after that, you evolve into either "settle down mode" or "sweet jeebus, I need to get the hell away from this clown mode." I don't understand how you could decide in such a short amount of time that you want to be with someone for supposedly the rest of your life. I think there's a social validation that comes with it that people are after. I mean, whatever, do what you feel is right, but if I'm playing the odds game, the longer you hold out, the better your chances. My parents date for 13 years before marrying, and they just celebrated their 37th anniversary a couple months back. There's gotta be something to that.

• I put myself into his shoe that's why I asked this question... He's pretty aging...

• Well, personally, I wouldn't recommend getting married any time soon. You should be exploring life at this age. It's fine to date, but at your age, the person you'll be in even 5 years will be drastically different than today. Marriage is a very serious thing, you can't just jump into it. Marriages may or may not work out, and you're rolling the dice at any age, but I tend to think the older you are and longer you've been together, the better the odds. If your boyfriend is 25 and you're 18, the relationship isn't doomed or anything. My parents are six years apart, close to your age gap, however they began dating at like 34 and 28, so it was a very different ball game. If your question is about when your boyfriend will start getting the itch, that's tough to say without knowing him.

What Guys Said 6

• I think minimum two years with at least one full year living together. I think more realistically about 3-4 years. The younger your age when you start dating obviously you will date longer until you are ready for marriage. I personally do not believe in people getting married under the age of 25. You would be dating for about 7 years in that case.

• I say 5 years at least.

• And? If you got married tomorrow, you will eventually be married to a 30 year old. I stand by my statement, 5 years MINIMUM.

• 2-3 years is what is usually suggested by marriage consultants.

• It totally depends on the couple involved

What length of time have you been dating?

• About two years (with n. Romance

• I love my phone. Let's try this again... About two to three years (with no red flags). If it's been longer, you need to ask yourself why. If it hasn't been that long, you need to ask yourself how well could you possibly really know a person in such a short amount of time and if it's really love you're feeling.

Also, "Romance" is when the woman asks the man to marry her and he says yes.

• As a rule, I tend to not take any woman serious on what she's looking for if she's younger than 23, for the simple fact that she doesn't yet know. Because she hasn't gone out there. And if you haven't gone out there and experienced the world, then how could you know what you want out of life?

Obviously this guy dates under 23, but he should be cautious. And I don't think it's him having the tough time right now, I think it's you - for the reason I just gave you. Give it a few years, Darlin. And if you're still with him and you still want this, then ask him to marry you. Why the rush?

• Well I've been played with and cheated on for countless time. I've meet too many assholes I'm getting too tired of these drama. I believe this is a really nice guy who treats me right and doesn't just want me for sex, so I never want to loose him...

• you know in some countries only 5min,
    that is based on your wish

What Girls Said 4

• id honestly give it AT LEAST 3 years

• It depends on you how it is seen in a country. At your age, I don't think it's that necessary to rush things. Give yourself two or three years at least

• Must be my young age I think 25 is super old and weird not to have a wife lol.

• Then it's a huge cultural difference. Where I live, 25 is considered really young to get married. Also, you shouldn't it's weird not to have a wife at 25. You shouldn't judge people like that.

• 3-5 years. 5 years would be awesome and ideal for a lot of people. Preferences.

• It all depends on the people involved but I would say 2-3 years at least