I'm 17 and his 18 about to turn 19. Is it illegal if we were to date?

So i've just turned 17 and his about to turn 19 in 2 months time, im pretty sure.. and we have both expressed our feelings towards each other but im not 100% sure whats happening... anyways, Is it illegal or not for us to go out, cos we really like each other and i don't want him to get in trouble because of me still being a 'child' . what can i do?

I've read the dating laws for where i am, and it talks about only having sex which i wasn't thinking of doing..
It doesn't say where we can date or not, so im still confused..

Most Helpful Guy

• That's illegal in my house!

What Guys Said 6

• Completely fine in every respect, that age gap is common and normal from what I've experienced in Australia.

• I think there's a clause that states it's OK if you're within a certain age. Look up your laws in your area.

• The law probably extends to all sexual activity, which dating doesn't have to include. But, I wouldn't risk it.

• no, i don't think so.
    go head by taking your parents permission

• what if my parents don't agree to me dating him? I've brought them up to my mum before and she's threatened me by saying she will get him in trouble.. can she actually threaten him?

• arre you saying i dont give respect to my parents?
      My parents are actually pretty lucky.. 17 year olds dont stay home or even look after there parents..

• hey
      nono... nothing like that, dont miss understand.

• That's legal even in the US, who's pretty strict with this kinda thing. It's legal to have sex with someone who is 2 years younger then you, if they are not the legal age. So, a 16 year old and an 18 year old can have sex legally. There a couple states that are different, in those states the age gap is can be bigger so a 15 year old and an 18 year old is legal. Some other states it's 17, and the remaining is 18, so you have to be legal age to have sex with someone 18 and over. I live in one of the states with the 16 year old can have sex with an 18 year old.

• Im not saying that i wanna have sex with him tho. we just want a relationship.. which i know a relationship covers sex and all that, but he knows im not ready for it and his willing to wait until im ready which really, could be ages. Its been a year since we liked each other but havnt bothered to actually do something about it.. He wouldn't of waited a year for me, he would of moved on. there's plenty of girls out there who still have their virginity soo?

• I was just saying, if it's legal to have sex, then it's legal to date. That was all I was getting at.

• You're in Australia right? The age of consent in most (maybe all?) states is 16, so you should be fine. Anyway I don't think just dating in itself is illegal at any age. I'm pretty sure you should be fine.

• yeah im australian :)

• Im victoria, I've googled the legislation and it says' 16 and over- Allowed to have sexual intercourse but only with persons consent.' which means i can have sex with him. but am i allowed to date him even tho were 2 years apart?

• If you can sex with him legally I'm pretty sure you can date him, I don't think dating itself is actually legislated against anyway. So it should be fine!

What Girls Said 3

• Dating is fine. When it comes to dating, it would only be illegal if you were a minor and he wasn't, and you ended up having sex. Since that would be considered statutory rape. But since you're not going to have sex and since you're most likely not considered a minor anymore, you should be fine.

• dating someone older isn't illegal, its sex that is. That's why there are only laws about sex.

You can go out on dates, even kiss without worrying about the law

• I think it's fine
    And if it's illgal
    Just don't tell anyone about it
    Illegal **