What's your view on dating someone you've never met in person?

A while ago I met this girl who's my age on a website and we started talking everyday. She's half way across the US. A while ago she sprung the word boyfriend while skyping. I liked it too much to much to reject the affection. We are almost completely alike , but she comes from a relatively racist family and they don't approve of her dating someone who's black and I'm not completely okay with dating someone from that kind of family I find it threatening frankly. I'm moving to that point where I really do love her and she loves me , but I don't like the idea dating someone I won't see or hold for years. Her mental state isn't the best and neither is mine , so i don't want to hurt her , but these thoughts won't change.

• Should I tell her we can't be a real couple even with her mental state. If so how.
  • Stay with her even though i have these thoughts because I actually do love her
  • wait for her to bring it up

Most Helpful Girl

• i honestly wouldn't mind it if i got to know him well enough online, but i wouldn't actually accept to be his girlfriend till he asked in person. harsh, i know, but I'm really not into the 'special moments online' thing. there r just some moments that need to happen in person.

that said tho, i dont think any man would love me enough to fly here or whatever.
    i can understand the concern in ur situation. sometimes it's differences in family that could create an issue.

i respect that ur grounded in ur thoughts, but honestly all u can do is express this to her. u need to say u like contact. u stand stand being away for so long... having a relationship develop through a device, and a family that isn't accepting. it doesn't make u a bad guy. it just makes u a guy with a vision, and that's ok.

• i just don't know how to say it to her because if i get her upset then she might do something stupid and i can't have the blood on my hands.

• no problem

What Girls Said 5

• It's... madness and most of the times it's also an illusion. But people love illusions. They are bewitched by them.
    I am not the one who has the ability to give you proper directions. You should do whatever you feel like doing.

• nothin' wrong with getting to know each other online, but don't toot the exclusivity horn until you've actually met. there's always a chance you could meet a girl (with an accepting family) who you can actually touch and hold.

• i actually did have feelings for someone else before i got so close to her and so did she. She said if he ever asked her out she might have to consider it and i told her if my friend asked me out i would have to think about it.

• Hmmm I don't think it's the best idea to date someone like that, because I think that in a relationship you need to spend time together, and it's necessary the real presence of the loved one, not a virtual one, if you don't have that how can you tell you really love that person or if you like the idea of her, or simply the state of having a gf, well that's just my opinion.. Good luck!

• I appreciate the input.

• I am dating someone I have never met. I love him more than anything else. We will be able to see each other in four years :(

• me and her won't be able to for a way longer time

• Me and him are going to meet up after high school but I'm still going to go to collage

• we're going straight to college

• Honestly, if you ever feel threatened by someone else's family, remember it's her choice and not theirs. She doesn't have to confide with them that you guys are both going out.

• she's always saying that she doesn't care what family thinks and if they ever try to get between she'll run away with me and i don't know what to think.

What Guys Said 2

• I don't think it's possible to be "dating" someone you've never actually met.

• you mean like manti te'o?