Is it that wrong to settle?

I always see comments telling people not to settle for less. "If you can get a 10, why go for a 5?" And it's always bothered me in a way I can't explain. I mean, you can still be happy with said 5, right? What's so wrong with settling for someone less physically attractive if you click with each other? Why are people so against the idea of "settling"? Someone pls explain this egotrip.

Most Helpful Girl

• People mean don't settle for less than you deserve. Not just physical appearance. But if you're in a happy fulfilling relationship with someone you consider your best friend then you're not settling.

What Guys Said 2

• Settle when you're down

• Settling means accepting mediocrity and that's never good.

What Girls Said 3

• I am against the idea of someone settling for less than they deserve, but not in a physical sense. Personally, if I have a connection with someone and they treat me the way I want to be treated and have the personality qualities that I like, that is gold. I will not settle for less than that. Physical attraction has nothing to do with settling for me. You can be the most handsome man or beautiful woman in the world, but if your personality is shitty or you treat me like shit, you will have no chance in hell of having a relationship with me.

• in my opinion there is no 10. You settle for a best friend who you're attracted too. There will be times when they aren't looking their best but it unrealistic to think love ( and marriage ) is bliss all the time. The one you keep is the one who sees you at your worst and is still there for you ( & vice versa ). Real life is not like the typical romance in the movies. :)

• It's all in the eye of the beholder. You might find the perfect person, as in THE ONE for you and so to you they would be a 10. To others they might not be. Honestly I think people who rate others are a bit shallow.