Would you date someone from a different religion?

For example if you were Christian would you date a Buddhist or a Muslim...Why or why not.

just wondering

as for me I would take it as a learning opportunity and as long as we respects each others practice I don't see why not.

This question has a poll!

• Vote A Yeah I don't see why not
  • Vote B I prefer to stick with my own religion
  • Vote C I don't know

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 50

What Guys Said 30

• I am doing so right now. My boyfriend is a pretty serious Christian, and I'm sort of an agnostic Jew if that's possible. His views are more extreme than mine so occasionally we have some conflicts, but they are resolvable.

• I would totally date someone from a different religion. Maybe not someone who's huge into the religion and goes to synagogue or temple every day, but only because I'm not that dedicated to religion.

• As long as he is not overly religious and rubs his religion every day in my face - I don't care.

• it would depend on their religion. I would prefer to stick to my own, but I would date a Jewish person for example. But I would not date a Muslim or anything else...that would be too weird and different.

• i would date any one from any religion. I'm currently seeing a muslim, as an atheist. I think it's hard for him though.

But what can I do. It feels right for me to be with him. if he doesn't think it's right than he has to deal with that himself.

• I guess it makes things easier when you worship the same God and have the same rule that you follow in life. It can get a bit tricky when it comes to differences in opinions especially when god a says this and according to god b, you must do another thing instead to solve your problems.

• Yes def as long as they don't try to convert me I'm good.

• No problem for me. I'm Buddhist. We have respect for all other faiths. We don't believe in forcing our beliefs on others.

• am christian ,catholic ..i went to catholic girls school all my life but am not that religious ...to be honest I don't really care about religion ..i think all religions would be ok except muslims ..they tend to be extremely religious and that's not me at all .

• I'd "hang out" with a person of different belifes, or go on "a" date. But I wouldn't date someone, like go-steady with them. Because I have not intention of forming a serious relationship with someone of another faith. We'd probably agree on a lot of superficial stuff, but disagree on the important stuff. We'd probably even disagree on what's important.

• I wouldn't date a Muslim. I'm non religious and too many Muslims are too religious for my tastes. Plus I would get hell from my whole family for going off with one.

• I am dating someone from a different religion, my boyfriend is catholic and I'm not. We both love each other with all of our hearts and couldn't be happier. I do not care about dating people from different religions because we are all humans and if we really loved someone, we'd respect the others religion even if we do not believe it is right. I think its stupid to not date someone just because of their religion anywayz.

• I prefer to stick with my own religion.

• ya, for sure. I am right now

• I've been in interfaith relationships, and it does take some work, but it's not impossible. As long as both parties are willing to learn about the other's faith, I think it's completely acceptable to date outside of your own religion. I've found that learning about other religions also encourages a person to learn more about their own, so don't be afraid to delve a bit deeper into a topic that some people find difficult and touchy. You might just come out of it a better person.

• I think the same as you as long as they do not try to change you then it should be ok.

• I'm a muslim I dated a lot of Christians before, but honestly I knew it wasn't gonna go anywhere since my parents wouldn't let me marry him... and now am with a Muslim his name is even "Mohammed" and we are ingaged. his sweet and all. But just too much jealousy!

• Hottest white guy ever was a true blood MORMON who went on missions to try to convert ppl. Very intelligent guy, perfect perfect bod, totally did it for me.

I'm 'atheist' and think his religion is bs, as does most of the rest of the intelligent country. I still respect him for his religiousness tho, because that's his culture.

I would have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dated him and more.

• I am Christian and I've dated and been close friend's with non-Christians. I would not be able to get into a serious relationship with anyone who is not a strong Christian because there are to many differences in just the way we think.

• i'm Christian fo sure. I've dated a guy who wasn't a Christian...and then one who was. hmmm. it really doesn't matter, it's how they were brought up and how they are-if they're sweet and caring, I'll date him but if he's a jerk no way-so I guess yeah

• Show More
  • Selected as most helpful

I'm a muslim, and believe it or not, I couldn't be happier with any other girl than my catholic girlfriend. my ex was a muslim but I've never seen a great benefit to that, it put only limitations on the way we communicate because we didn't have the same views on everything, a modern muslim is VERY different from a conservative/closed-minded/extremest muslim.

my current girlfriend always encourages me to pray, attend religious events and prayers and celebrations, and even more she would join me and my family in these sometimes... because she knows the spiritual side is very important in a longterm relationship, and we both know it's best way to eliminate stress, discharge emotional pressure and enlighten up the mood, all of that leads to a better relationship. we believe in the same god, we ask for the same god, so what's the problem!

what is advised here is just to make sure you are on the right lane, make sure no complications are going to happen in the future and most importantly make sure she/he is the dependent type and won't give a damn about their family or community approval. know all these things and ask all the questions you need to ask before you start anything emotional with them.

• To add more on this, there are actually known lines in the islamic religion that were put by scholars in the past and are derived from the Quran and sunna, stating that a man who is with a christian or a jewish wife should allow her to practice her religion, attend prayers and celebrations and never stand in her way. To children it's just another part of the story if they get to ask her or learn from her about christianity, no conflicts since their parents have had all those conversations before

• Usually, muslims and atheists don't get along, and muslims who are married to atheists are not practicing, even for an atheist it's impossible that she or he would marry a practicing muslim or christian unless she or he wants to learn about the religion and they're seriously thinking of converting/starting practicing... the situation you've described doesn't exist. And catholics do marry muslims and only closed minded ones would deny that. Love is more appreciated in the 21th century, thankfully

• Why would the children think that prayer is necessary and important if mom doesn't pray because its just not her thing, because she's non-religous? Dad prays because it seems to fill his spiritual needs, and mom doesn't because she seems to not need to. How do you convince your children that prayer is necessary, and worshipping God is something all people should do, when their daily experience is that its only a personal preference, some people (like mom) don't pray, and its OK.

• Show Older
  • i don't believe in anything supernatural, and love evolutionary psych ... I would like to be with someone (if this was a long term meaningful relationship ) that I could have intelligent conversations with... I don't know how easy it would be to get past someone believing in some random diety

• It's not so much that I wouldn't date people of other religions (as I hold none myself, I consider myself a spiritual Humanist - I believe in God, but I choose not to follow the Biblical commandments. My moral code is based on it, but I diverge in many places)

It's that would religious people date me? I have a thing against Evangelists and devout Muslims, hypocrisy and blind faith annoy me. But I also have a habit of attracting them, and visa versa. (maybe they are feminine because of their beliefs keep them grounded) However, it never works out. I always end up needing 'saving' for my ways or I end up really p*ssing them off.

I'll stick to liberal Christians, Buddhists, agnostics and atheists.

• yeah, id about religion, honestly if it doesn't stir issues . Then let it be

• I once dated a Christian girl. Kissing was Ok but even talking about sex was taboo. I dumped her asap.

• I don't see a problem with it. My girlfriend is Jewish, and I'm christian and we don't mind. I could see a problem if like their views are completely against your beliefs, but otherwise I think it doesn't matter.

• I don't think I would. We'd probs end up falling out about it.

• I'm a Christian and wouldn't marry a non-believer.

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" 2 Cor 6:14

• amen! thank you!

• I'm not a christian, but I second that !

• my self I am muslim my ex was Christian my best friends wife is christian since there is respect and love there is no problem man,

• Even though the bible warns of not dating/marrying someone who believes as you do, I can't help who I fall in love with. So no, I would not mind dating someone of a different religion. If they are willing to date me, why shouldn't I be willing to do the same?

• I'm apatheist (pragmatic atheist indifferent to religion link )

So is my wife.

I'd date a religious girl (I did twice and with one of them we got nowhere and her religion was one of the reasonS )

Marrying her would be a question of a clearly discussed premarital verbal agreement as to which role & place her religion would take in her life and in mine and in that of the eventual children.

• I chose A..

I don't really study any religion and I'm no scientist but Buddhism is my choice... because it is simple.. "treat others as you would want to be treated.. be peaceful, do not harm animals no matter how small or insignificant".. that makes sense..

Similar religious beliefs don't guarantee good companionship.. We all want to find the truth.. some find it in religion.. some find it in science.. The problem is extremism either way. I think we should all be open minded and try to understand what others believe.. you don't have to believe it.. just embrace it and let it go if you don't like it.. This is a way to show basic respect towards your common man or woman. I knew this girl who said that she would definitely change a man's mind to believe in what she believes in order for them to have any kind of relationship.. I asked her why? She said "because he has to believe in what I believe or it won't work out".. I explained to her.. "look there are many ways to get through life.. imagine life as a simple math problem.. 2+2 and the solution to this (life) is 4.. Now, 2+2 is only ONE WAY to get to that solution.. Another way is 8/2 which also leads to 4.. Another way is 6 - 2.. which also leads to 4!.. So you see, Life or End of Life is the Solution.. It doesn't matter HOW you get to that solution.. you get there in whatever way is comfortable for you".. And she seemed shocked and didn't want to accept what I had just told her. But I could care less.. as long as she heard it at least once.. I hope she doesn't still think she can change any man's mind to her liking.

Science: lets us interpret the physical world

Religion: helps us cope with reality

- The belief that all can be explained by science leaves out the human experience: Emotions, compassion, culture.

- At the same time, holding unexamined spiritual beliefs (which are contradicted by logic, evidence and experience), can lock us into fundamentalist cages.

I would not mind dating anyone from any religion .. even someone from no religious affiliation.. Personally, I loathe organized religion but my only limit would be, like mentioned before... extremism either towards science or religion can only lead to harm..

Balance is the key to life.. If we are blinded by the belief that there is only ONE answer (religions vs. science), then it will only take us longer to find the truth.

• seriously. if genuine feelings of respect and love come into play, than it's nothing you can't handle :).

• Since my religion is composed entirely of my own personal beliefs, technically everyone on Earth is "from a different religion". So yes, it's either that or nothing.

• im not religous but some of my stupid family is ... I have no problems sexing the other religions but I guess it might be awkward if I came home with a girl with a dot on her head

• Accually dot depends if it is a tilak (Red close to the eyebrows)in the hindu relgion then yes it dose signify marriage.....however if it is a bindi (that can be any colour size or shape on the upper forhead)....then it's a peace of jewelry...however a bindi can also as be simbolized as a third eye...to remind people not to judge the world with their eyes but with their mind....

• Please don't be ignorant.. the dot has nothing to do with religion.. it signifies marriage.

• I sometimes date pagans but for the most part, I don't have sex with people with religious beliefs. They tend to have some serious baggage around sex that usually isn't worth the effort of trying to fix.

• I don't see why not. The only thing I would have a problem with is if they started telling me my beliefs are wrong. It would definitely be a plus to be the same religion but as long as they don't make fun of my beliefs its all good

• f*** religon end of story

• I'm open to other religions and cultures.

• catholic girl: ill give you something to confess to

jewish girl: its ok its 100% kosher

muslim girl: (I got nothing to say that wouldn't make me sound like a complete ass hole :( )

Buddist girl: I'll enlighten you into nirvana

Athesist girl: I'd like preform natural selection with you ;D

got something for most of them... now the other parts about girls... well there's a whole site to figure out those problems. link

• For me it would matter more if they were really into religion or not than if they were just from a different religion. I'm an atheist and I would have no problem dating a christian, but I don't think the relationship would work out if she was the kind of person who's going around trying to save everyone. I would actually be really interested to date a Buddhist or a Wiccan though, because those are religions really interest me, even though I don't believe in them myself.

• Show More