What is a good first date for shy, bookish people?

And don't say "bookstore"!

I'm starting to think the best thing is something almost silly - a date that doesn't feel like a date - like miniature golf - so one doesn't feel compelled to say something clever.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think a movie is a good idea for a first date, even if you're shy. You need to be talking to and getting to know each other on a first date, which can't happen at a movie. (A movie is better for a latter date when you're comfortable touching each other.)

For shy people a good idea for a first date is some kind of activity where you have something to do but still allows you to have a conversation. Going for a walk, visiting a museum or gallery, playing pool, bowling or rock climbing... or anything where you aren't just staring at each other trying to think of something to say. If you have an activity like that you can talk on and off during the date, and there will be things to talk about (the sites you see on a walk, comments on your game of pool, or whatever).

• Regarding your update, I think something like that would be a good idea. It'd give you something to do while trying to think of what to say to each other, and doing something active like that is going to create things to comment on which should make conversation easier. You can always get a drink or lunch or something afterwards, and that way you'll have already broken the ice.

• Thanks for MH.

• How did it go? (If you've done it yet.)

What Guys Said 4

• A museum can be fun. A great way to talk and also to get an idea of what the other is about as you talk about the exhibits or paintings or whatever it is.

• I agree museums or walks in the park are nice. ^_^. I am a shy person. That always works best :)

• Reading to orphans.

• Maybe go to amusement park..

• A movie is good b/c you have 2 hours of little talking and just getting use to each others presence but make sure you get something to eat or ice cream or something like that so that you do get to talk and get to know eachother

What Girls Said 2

• Casual dinner and a movie. *Source- I'm shy and bookish and that is my ideal first date : )

• Has that worked for you? I think for a first date a movie isn't that good because you can't really talk or get to know each other during it (and you don't each other well enough to touch/hold each other). Also I think a dinner or lunch could be problematic for shy people because their not doing anything until their food arrives, so it will be quite awkward if can't think of enough things to say.

• Well, I've never been on a date but it has always sounded good to me. If it was a really casual, busy setting for dinner or lunch I would not think it would really be a problem.

• Coffee shop