Physical beauty or power and security?

I read a study that showed that women are primarily attracted to money, power and security, while men are attracted to physical beauty. Of course an emotional connection is important, but out of the two, which would you choose?

• Physical beauty
  • Power, money, security
Neither is more superficial. It just is what it is.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't completely agree with this. I don't find either options to be quite right.. Neither of them are really THAT important to me personally. The absolute most important thing that I am the most attracted to at the
    very core is companionship. What I mean by that is the ability of that person to gel with me not just romantically but also on a friendship level. The looks are just part of it and so is the supposed money and security. I will provide my own security for myself. Not making the same mistakes as my mom. So yeah. Neither of these cut it for me. I'm sure I'm not the only woman who feels this way either.

With that said, I'm not going to lie it's nice to feel secure but by that I don't mean financially. I mean secure as in secure in the relationship and his love for me. For that reason I voted B but not for the power and money.

What Girls Said 44

• It's funny that women are biologically attracted to security, the ability to provide for and protect young, like money, a stable job, and emotional security and men are attracted to physical beauty and yet we all bitch and moan when a guy/girl likes those traits in us. We're all set up to shoot ourselves in the foot in this modern dating world hahahaha

• well then i guess biology is retarded cause even ben franklin knew those who trade their freedom for security deserve neither. and sexy submissive bitches allow my kind of freedom... if you know what i mean ;)

• My boyfriend isn't the most attractive man nor does he have a lot of money. I chose him on the basis that he's a fantastic person with a great sense of humour and awesome personality. Shocking, I know!

The world is not black and white.

Does it make you feel secure when you place people in small categorized boxes?

• Security and protection for me. I don't want a powerful guy. I want an equal relationship, not some man making demands of me. Money is not a huge deal. I only want what is necessary to live comfortably. No need for riches. As far as physical beauty, I prefer the average guy over the hot guy. I'm more interested in what type of person he is.

• I'd prefer Beauty inside and out.

I don't see the point in putting energy into landing someone With money , when you could put the same energy into making money yourself keep your dignity. Security can ever be found in another person Bc eventually we are all a lone... Plus there's something to be said about dignity. Natures "rich".

• yeah i care more about looks then i do anything else. i dont care about how much money a guy has. i can't be with a guy if he doesn't have an attractive face. it just doesn't work for me. i could meet a guy and if he is a millionaire but ugly i dont want to be with him and i can't force him to get cosmetic surgery either. i need a handsome face to look at. nothing else matters. he could be very powerful and offer me so much security but no go if his face is ugly.

my boyfriend right now is very hot and i dont care about the fact that he works at mcdonalds. he doesn't have money and sometimes i have to help him out with his bills but i dont care because he is hot. maybe im just more like a guy than a girl when it comes to that type of thing i guess. i mean usually only men care about looks.

• Security is the main thing for me. If there is security you are able to focus on other things in life. Whether that security involves money or environment. Being secure allows you to relax enjoy the simple, artistic, intricate or complex things in life. Physical beauty is fleeing. It doesn't last forever and it can't last forever so there is no need to focus on something that is gone in a blind of an eye. Power isn't important either. Life can be prosperous and meaningful without power.

• Physical beauty (my own opinion of it though), I'd rather depend on myself rather than a husband to rely on my whole life. I want to make myself secure in case anything happens

• For myself or for my SO?
    I would like to be physically beautiful I guess. But for my SO I just want him to love me. The rest is just extra stuff. I suppose having financial security would be preferable, just because it would make things easier. But it's not the most important thing.

• I'm attracted to intelligence and physical beauty. My boyfriend looks like a fucking Romantic poet and is a whiz at math. At the same time he's 2 years my junior, weighs less than me even though he's 4 inches taller and obviously has no income (being, you know, 16).

• Neither. Of course being attractive never hurt, but I prefer love, kindness, caring, passion, and a head of hair! Lol. Honestly. I'm not hard to please. I prefer all the little things.

• Not for me. Just people in general who are independent in every areas.

Some men are solely drawn to physical beauty alone but it is just an exterior illusion when they find a can of worms waiting for them, behind the "sweet smile".

• Women chose security and power due to evolutionary needs. A woman wants security in her relationship with her mate especially if she wants to have children with her mate. She wants to make sure that her mate is able to provide and is in it for the long term. But I think the same could be said for both sexes in modern times.

• As a girl, physical beauty is not quite important, I think. If i love a guy, i'll think if he will be able to keep me safe, happy, rich, etc. I've already loved him and he has good facts that i like, i'll marry him. Physical features don't matter in love.

• I chose physical beauty. I like security but cannot stand power. If I had to live with a powerful man he would threaten my personhood. Where money is concerned I think i would rather have someone who was my equal. Not superior. The reason I chose physical beauty is I don't want to be married to someone I can't stand to have sex with or kiss.

• Physical beauty. At least my selfies will be on point.

• To me, personality/charm is what attracts me more. I can't really fall for someone until I know them. "Charm is more valuable than beauty. You can resist beauty, but you can't resist charm." -unknown

• if the emotional connection was equal then I would go for the money and security over looks.

• But not sound investment strategy i. e. purchasing annuities.

• Are you the same dude who posted that about the ring? Shoot, what part of emotional connection did you miss? Lols...

• Honesty and integrity win hands down for me

• PSSSSSH I would go with physical beauty every time.

• It fades fast.

• Beauty lasts through the generations.

• Now that I am older, humility aside, I have money, power and great looks. I look better now than in my 20s. But if that was a priority for me and I selected someone on beauty, they wouldn't be able to keep up because there are literally millions of smokin hot girls and once a person ages, they are out. And by age i mean like 5-8 years later if I can put up with their looks for that long. I say put up with their looks because even a beauty can't compete with all the variations of beauty out there. So my comment that beauty fades can be taken by fading through age or through competition. To each his/her own though as there is no right or wrong on this, it is what turns your crank. Money lasts a lot longer than all of them though if you have some common sense. Money also give power and beauty in many ways.

• There has to be somewhat of a balance. I'm not going to date an old man just to be financially secure. But at the same time I'm not going to date a model looking bum where I have to pay his way.

• Ave got to fancy someone to be attracted to someone so I voted for beauty, don't care for money that's just using someone.. As if u find someone un attactive but hang about coz they have money Na! So wrong! N I don't mean beauty as in stunning as in what your self! Finds someone as beauty! Before anyone says its not all about looks lol

• I guess both are important, at first.. it's a bit important. But true love isn't based how big her boobs are, or how rich he is. It's about the person, and the chemistry that both have..

• There is something special in powerful men. I always admired those powerful couples where the both partners are really successful and they never need introducing. I wanna be part of that couple. :)

• Physical first. I need to be attracted to him before anything.

• beauty. I can make my own money and I have to have the power. (:

• I need physical attraction, and good personality and stability

• It depends on the person really...

• Second option because you can always buy physical beauty.

• I'd choose physical beauty. I'd rather be able to secure my own self without his help!

• Women in general need security. Power and money count as security.

• More from Girls
    14

What Guys Said 26

• Ideally, a mixture of the two would be preferable, but, at the risk of sounding shallow, I would pick the more attractive woman.

I'm not superficial or materialistic, but I would rather be with a girl who cleans toilets for a living, than wake up to

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/j6w0d0RUQ08/hqdefault.jpg

this everyday.

• Of course, personality trumps all, but I assume that both options would be people that I can form an emotional connection/be happy with.

• I live in a country with lots of OIL. Oil is super cheap, nobody cares about oil. We even scrutinise the quality of the oil here, and separate them into grades, and the lowest grade are practically throwaway here, used as cleaning agent.

She lives in a country with lots of GOLD. Gold is super cheap, nobody cares about gold in her country. They even scrutinise gold and stratify them into different grades, and the lowest grade are practically waste fillings that are used in cheap circuit boards.

The problem with my country? We are totally short on gold, even filings can be measured and traded for top quality oil.

As for her? If it's oil, ask your price, ask whatever you want, you shall almost certainly have it.

If I attempted to barter with her, and tons of my oil to buy gold, and offered gold to her... and she offered tons of her own gold, to get a bottle of wine, just to buy my gold... It would be pretty lose-lose don't you agree?

But if I offered her a good sum of oil, and she offers me a good sum of gold. I become incredibly wealthy in my country, and she in hers.

Win-win situation.

I have Power, money, security. And I have physical beauty too. So uhh... I would prefer if something else was offered instead.

• I mean oil, not wine, gosh wine beats everything sometimes.

• Definitely POWER.
    They are the best output humanity can produce :- http://www.forbes.com/power-women/

• i like beautiful girls who're strong ;-)

• Physical beauty sounds transient. Power however, suggests a confident or smart personality (but not always) so I'm more inclined to choose that.

On the other hand, girls who have made it that successful usually also have strong personalities that make it hard for me to get along with. In the sense that I feel a greater need to prove myself to her and be successful too, which is not my style.

• im like that with the strong personality bit, so would you say we have to lower ourselves... because i wish men would higher themselves if you know what i mean

• No you can't lower yourself, no one succeeds at changing themselves that radically. So basically it limits you to men who are very confident about themselves, either because they don't mind anything about themselves, or because they have great capability.

But you probably could not date a guy with a strong personality that is built on ego but not capability or achievements (just my unfounded thoughts).

• Between the two Id go for looks. I'd prefer a average salary beautiful girl over a rich average looking one.

• I generally like to develop a relation with someone whilst hanging out meeting up every now again till we get to that point that we genuinely like each other. When you fall in love all that stuff doesn't matter. Those people who are settling for looks or security rather than affections and love are gonna find temptations a lot harder in future when they do run into someone that could be their soul mate.

• I have "power and security" in my own way. I'm retired at 53 after what I would call a distinguished military career. I don't care if a prospective mate has the same. I am the consummate gentleman. If you are a CEO of a fortune 500 company I'm still going to open doors for you, pay the bill and give you flowers. What matters is whether I'm attracted to you in the first place to be compelled to do such things.

• Beauty is something "genetical" i believe.
    I chose Physical beauty because i would like to look better. I didn't choose vote B because you can have money and power if you work hard. And i want to work hard bcz "hard-working" builds self esteem and confidence , it also makes people more wise. So by working hard i will have money , the looks , and a great personality :)

• I say physical beauty because if you have that then people will feed your ego so much you will become confident and could become a famous model who then makes money that way and becomes rich and now you have looks to go on top of that as well.

• Physical beauty is a yes. I mean guys and girls, come on? lets be honest with this. But the question is after that... money and power can show reputation, so i guess it is attractive but I prefer people who is independent and humble.

• I primarily go for looks and personality, but a woman having her own money and being independent would be a bonus.

• Physical beauty. I don't care about their power, I just need them at least self sufficient, and security I guess just goes with money to me so that's not too important

• That makes sense, guys are supposed to be the one out making money anyway. My girl wouldn't have to be rich, I'd rather her be beautiful and have an amazing personality.

• If we go by just those four things we are limiting ourselves way too much in life. plus those studies don't take into account EVERYONE, so take those studies with a grain of salt.

• If you expect psychology studies to take EVERYONE into account, then you are an idiot. You might as well ignore every study that has ever been published.

• Your theory and this poll matches, I was surprised myself,
    I did not expect this nor did i expect what would've been vise versa,
    truth is. I expect nothing. lol oxox

• Haha seems like your poll confirms the statement

• Physical beautiful, I will supply the money and power.

• Yup, women are whores, men are sluts

• beauty is what we all look for first if you are only asking what we are initially attracted to.

• Power and fun

• This is question is pointless as it only draws out the superficial and material people.

• Are you asking about choosing for myself or for my partner?

• All lies and bullshitting. 70% of a girls would date someone with money rather than an average guy. FACT! You know this and so do I. Not all women though, thats the good thing :)

• If it's enough money, I'd not care about physical beauty. But it has to be really a lot of money...

• Women care about looks just as much as men but they just want other things as well, while guys would be ok with only looks.