Is being picky a good thing or a bad thing?

Some of my friends have been saying to me that I'm way too picky when it comes to women. And sure... been on like 4 or 5 dates that all didn't go anywhere. And sometimes I do feel it gets in the way of me potentially meeting someone. But at the same time I don't want to just settle for any woman.
I do have an ideal personality and body type I have in mind, but just haven't found any women within that sort of spectrum that I'm aiming for (doesn't have to be perfect '10' on those two categories, but still feels like health and confidence are hard traits to find in a lot of women from my experience.)

Have any of you been criticized for being picky?

Anyone currently in a long-term relationship with someone completely different to your ideal partner? Are you satisfied in that relationship?

How much selectiveness is too much do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't see any problem in that. Being picky is good; you shouldn't settle for less than you want. I don't know about you, but I'm picky with the personality, but not that much physically.

What Girls Said 4

• I think you can be too picky, but I also think sometimes it an be a good thing.
    Being too picky about things that are trivial means you might miss a real gem, but I myself am pretty picky when it comes to connection, I think sometimes you can just tell, it feels natural and nice, and I know that if that isn't there, to some extent, early on, it's not going to be. Some people will call me picky for that.

The way I see it, is my goal isn't to get a boyfriend so being too picky isn't an issue to me. I don't want a boyfriend for the sake of having one, and I'm not actively looking for one, so for now, being picky isn't hindering me. If however, I felt there was a gap in my life to be filled by a guy, then I might be a little more willing to give potentials a little more of a chance even if I don't click straigh away.

• People say I'm picky too... and yeah I have some expectations... not necessarily super high standards but they do affect who I date. So I guess we are in the same situation.

• I'm picky too. I understand. This is only my second time really truly liking someone. Everyone else I've dated have been whatever and the relationships didn't last more than a year.

• If you are looking for a perfect women you will have a long wait!

What Guys Said 3

• Being picky about who you will and will not date is not necessarily a bad thing.

It becomes a bad thing when you are a fat, balding man who expects a supermodel girlfriend with not an ounce of hair on her body and not an ounce of fat.

As long as you aren't placing a criteria of physical and personal qualities that you, yourself do not possess then it's not a bad thing at all.

An example of one of mine is 'I am not promiscuous, I never have been and I never will be, so I don't want a woman who has been promiscuous in the past or who is promiscuous in the present'.

• I don't think having standards is bad.

• I used to be quite picky.. Part of the problem is long periods of being single followed by periods of having an absolutely stunning girlfriend means when you first get together you gotta stay relaxed and self assured. That's not always easy. These days I'd be happy to get a girl who's beautiful in my eyes and who I click with.