Met a girl online in Europe ... how to ask for proof of who she is?

To be clear, we video chat frequently, so I know she isn't a guy. Her Facebook has tons of pictures, pictures from class, pictures with friends and family, etc. She hasn't asked for money or suffered a sudden tragic accident which only my credit card can save her from. She sent me the initial invite, but I was the one to pursue regular contact with her. It will be months yet before we can meet in person, but she does want to meet when she comes to the states (she doesn't need me for a visa, either).

I've read a bit about love scams. Most are clumsy, but it sounds like some are extremely elaborate. She hasn't given me any specific reason to be suspicious, but I'd like to head off the possibility instead of continuing to worry about it.

What would you consider proof that the person you're talking to is exactly who they say they are? How would you ask? I want to iron out the question once and for all, while providing the same proof to her, preferably without causing offense. Would you even consider meeting people online in the first place?

• I've been in relationships which started online. Never been scammed.
  • I've been scammed in online relationships.
  • I've never done online dating, but I'm open to it.
  • I am not interested in online dating.

Most Helpful Guy

• All I know to tell you is run for the hills if any money is asked for.
    Just be alert.

What Girls Said 2

• Well you know she's a real person etc but you want to know if she is a gold digger right? there's no way to tell its not like she is going to openly admit to you that she wants money etc from you but so far she seems legit you will only find out she is after something if and when she asks

• If she is for real, I wonder if it would go across well if I made it clear I will never ask for money and that I would break things off if she did so. Maybe not stated as bluntly as that, but just laying ground rules. The school she's going to, pictures she's taken, and way she's talked about things suggests to me she's fairly well-off to begin with, however.

• Get to know her a little better. Don't be naive but don't throw away something potentially special. It would be a good idea to meet her soon.

• Can't happen until this summer, unfortunately. She's coming to the states on her own through school and made it clear she wouldn't need me for a visa.

What Guys Said 1

• i've never had an online relationship, but i know i've been attempted catfished once.

• basically, if she seems to be simply too good-looking, has exclusively male contacts, is mostly interested in you, and all of this applies in a media that is originally unrelated to dating, it's not worth your time.

• it's not exactly dramatical and there's a slight chance it was a false alert. i was derping on Facebook when i recieved a friend request. i accepted it instantly because why decline it if it's not from a personal enemy and yadda yadda.
      she sent a pm and we begun talking. she had only just made an account, all of her posts wee a single photoshoot of a woman before some kind of screen with what i guess is sponsor names. alarm bell rung. i also noticed that she acted ike she was into me, something no sane person would be.
      i looked at her friend list and all her friends were male. afte a bit of talking, i simply decided to block her for being an obvious catfish.
      and that's all the expeience i have with such.

• Fair enough. Yeah, that does sound pretty obvious.