At what age would you let your daughter/son date?

Supposing you had one or the other And if the ages differ why?

Most Helpful Girl

• Should I ever have a son or daughter, I will let them date whenever they want. I just will not drive them on their dates, allow their date to be on my property unless I am home, or in a room unless I am present, pay for their date to go anywhere with us, or buy them things to give their date. If little Suzzie JoyJoy wants to date little Bobby BoBo when she's 14 because she thinks she's old enough to handle it, then she is more than welcome to call him her boyfriend and hold hands in the lunch room. But he's not coming to our house and she is not going there. The lunch room and awkward I'm-too-young-for-this kisses when they leave to get on their buses after school will be the farthest their relationship will progress.

I will also put the fear of God into any child I have and their significant other, regardless of their gender, about how sex is not a thing that will be happening unless they're married or want to learn what it's like to be without very important parts of their anatomies.

What Guys Said 25

• This isn't a question about age neaarly as it is about mental age. You know like how mature is she or can she handle having another man in her life. This is the criteria for my future baby girl. If she checks these criterias she can go ahead and date. Its about putting her well being first. Sometimes what she can considers to be her interest may not necessarily be good for her. If she getting distracted, getting bad grades since she's got a man then she can't handle her business. Thats what will be in my mind.

• They'll be robots, so whenever their software updates?

• at whatever age they want. who am i to judge?

(i don't want to have kids anyway)

• Boy-15
    Girl-18+ moved out
    To all the girls saying OMG WHY IS IT DIFFERENT THATS SO SEXIST i say this:
    YOU dont know how men/boys think I DO that's why girls need to be protected for a little longer i know exactly how us men are...

• And make sure your boy looks out for other people's daughters, too. Raise men that women don't have to be protected from.

• @flyingturtle I agree 100% men talk about how other men are bad for their daughter but don't teach their sons to respect women

• Son at 13
    Daughter at 17

• Why should there be a difference... Well then again guys are always more protective of their daughters and let their sons roam a little more freely. Think about this your 13 yr old son (if you were to have one) is dating someones 13 yr old daughter or even younger

• I understand you. And PS I wasn't trying to humiliate you I just wanted to know why that's all... Aww shyd I love to see guys try to protect their daughters from the world! For some reason I would love my future husband to be that way. Not crazy overprotective but just a little sensitive when it comes to their daughter/s. It melts my heart.

• Exactly, I values progressive thinking. If she knows what's right and what she's doing, I'll let her to be with her dream guy at any age :)

• Depending on their personality: 15-16

• If I did have kids, I'd let them date at the age of 12-13, but it just depends on them if they want to date or not. :)

• i donĀ“t think there is an age limit to that. some naturally do it early some later. usually they aren't even romantically interested in the other gender until they are like 13ish. it is hoewer crucial to give them proper sex ed before.

• Regardless of gender, I would let them date no younger than the age of 21. However, depending on their maturity, it could be younger or older. No younger than 18 even if they were the most mature and intelligent of their generation.

• wow 21! But agreed.

• They need to understand how the world works, whether they like it or not. I would rather not push them into the real world unprepared. Shit happens no matter how much I prepare my kids, but I would still want my kids to be prepared as much as possible so that they are ready. I would still be a lenient dad... to a point.

• I see where your coming from now! That's some true info.

• What? And be like me?
    NEVER!!! hahahaha
    Seriously though each child is an individual and no two are the same so when they start to display maturity and responsibility is fine, up to them.
    4 sons later that whole never thing doesn't work lol

• I'd say around 15 would be ok.

• I am now 20 I didn't start dating till I was 17/18 and I was told I could or could not date till a certain age. I'd personally tell my kids if they even asked that I rather them not date till 16+ because they'd have a job and money so I can tell them if they want me to take them on their date it will be $20.00 for a two way trip.

• Daughter can only date til she's married

• 30
    filler

• Depends on maturity level. Certainly not before high school regardless of gender.

• Whatever age they want. My mom didn't let me date until 18+, which made my first date beyond awkward. Don't even want to get into the details.

• I guess when they start high school.

• 16 sounds like a good age to me.

• Girl 16
    Boy 14

• wrong, the boy would be able to date older girls over 16

• No I meant if I had a boy he could start datin at 14 I dont care how old the girl is my boy dates
      If I had a girl she could start at maybe 16

• 16 years old.

• 22 if female or 18 male

• When they're 21 & outta my house.

• You will then encouraging them to do things behind your back. Don't put rules you know teen (and because it's natural) won't respect. That's how girls get pregnant because they hiding who they see or are with.

• 18 or older.

• The age doesn't matter. It's the maturity level I'm looking at. In both cases I wouldn't let them date unless they were past sophomore year. And I would want to see who exactly they are dating first before anything.

• no younger than 18, once they are 18 they can go date since they're pretty much mature adults by that age

What Girls Said 48

• id rather they didn't date until 18. before then it seems quite pointless to me.

• I'd have to say between 15 and 16 for both. It all depends on their personalities and maturity levels though. If they are under 15 and want to date, I won't say no BUT they'd have to understand that only group dates are allowed, I must know and trust the friends who are in this group, and either I or another parent will pick them up afterwards.. As more of their maturity shows and they follow the rules, then they'll earn my trust. I won't be too strict though because kids tend to rebel and sneak about when you restrict them too much but I expect my rules to be followed.

• My parents let me have my first boyfriend at 15. I'd say my kids couldn't date until high school, though, and they certainly couldn't date anyone more than 2.5 years older than them (I am not dealing with the heartbreak of seeing a Senior partner go to college. No.)

xx

• Mine would be when they graduate high school or if the boy cam approach me and ask for permission to date my daughter. No earlier than 16.

• Thirteen is about the age that I would let them begin HARMLESS AND PROPERLY MONITORED DATING.

Mind you, that'd be after having a serious talk about sex and saying no, being safe and their morals. Other than that, I see thirteen as a healthy age to begin dating, so long as it doesn't go beyond what is appropriate for a thirteen year old.

• i would say high school, although 16 would be ideal so they could drive themselves lol

• I have 18 and it's my first boyfriend (and hope it's would be the last one), so I would prefer for my children to start dating at 18 too. It's really reasonable, because your out of high school, you have maybe a car, you go freely everywhere so it's really a great age to start dating.

• I think 16 for both genders is a good age. . . if I have kids anyway. And I will do my absolute best to teach them to RESPECT and not take advantage of whoever they are interested in. Don't make promises they can't keep. Teach the boy especially that despite how their friends act, girls are not sex play things. Teach the girls that just because a boy says he loves you, doesn't mean he means it.

• My parents didn't allow me to date till I was 18. Bitched and moaned at the time, but now I am grateful because it saved me from probably making a lot of stupid decisions.

I would do the same for my own kids.

• My mom didn't let me start going on dates by myself until I could drive. Even with that... she still is constantly checking up on me and tracking me on find friends ( I know it sounds creepy). She does love my boyfriend though... so I guess that also factors into the letting me date thing...

• As long as she/he would be ready to have a relationship and she/he would act mature enough to date, I wouldn't mind if she/he'd have a boyfriend/girlfriend. I think 13-14 years old it's really OK. They're already teenagers and old enough to make the difference between what's bad and what's good.

• Honestly if they listened to me I prefer 18 for both my son and daughter.

• 16 at youngest, depending on maturity level.

• Whenever the feel like they want to but as long as they know that im always there for them no matter what and that they can always talk to me :)

• My parents told me that I can date when I'm 15, and I'll be 15 in a few days. I have the feeling that they're going to change their minds though haha.

• They probably will! Hoping for the best! My parents told me 18 and i'll be 18 in April so we'll see how that plays out :)

• At any age they start to feel ready. But I will warn her that if she ever gets pregnant or if my son get a lady pregnant, they are on their own no matter what age.

• Well, as for me, if i were a mother, i will let them date with my permission when they reach 18. It doesn't differ. But i can't limit the age at which they will date without letting me know.

• 16 probably

• 15 ys old, depending on how he/she behaves

• 16. Feels like the right age.

• Probaly around 15 becuase by that age they would be quite mature. I'm 17 and not allowed to date, i hate it.

• When they have reach university age, definitely not under 18. i would be strict with them

• I love how girls mature earlier than guys, yet all these guys are saying that their girl would be allowed to date later than their boy.. What's the logic in that?

• If I had a say in the matter, 16.

• Well, I'm never having kids. But if I did, I would let them date as soon as they enter middle school if they're mature enough.

• 15 if you felt your child was emotionally ready to handle the possible rejection that comes with young dating. Just talk and be open with your child.

• Any time is ok, as long as they introduce themselves properly.

• 16 for both genders

• Both genders I'd say 16, normal age to date. But I really don't care just as long as they don't hide it from me.

• I don't really want kids, but if I had them I'd say 16 is a good age.

• More from Girls
    18