What's your opinion on dating online?

I'm 20 years old and thinking of maybe getting Tinder, Plenty of Fish, etc. What's your opinion on it? Are they exclusively for hook-ups, or is it useful for dating too? And is it only skanks, old people, and desperate people on there haha? I have heard different horror stories and I'm just wondering if it's even worth my time. Feel free to share any of your experiences on here, or any other free sites that you like. Thanks!

Yes, I do plan on meeting people that I like on there. I'd just be using as a way to meet people because I'm not meeting anyone the old fashioned way. I would not be interested in having an online only relationship, or one where the guy lives in a different place.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been giving it try lately - I've been on a few dates with girls I met through it.

I think tinder is more or less for hook ups. (Not sure though, I haven't used it)

I say give POF or OKCupid a go - you will need to filter through the weirdos, but I think you'll find some guys interested in dating/relationships on there.

• Thanks for MH. Have you given it a go yet?

• That's fair enough, I was a bit worried about being recognised by someone - and I live in fairly large city.

You don't need to put a photo up (you won't get as many guys messaging you though, you might need to do more of the initiating yourself) you can just have a photo online somewhere and send the guys the link when you're messaging them - that way you control who knows your on the site.

• That's a really good idea, thanks! I never would have thought of it.
      The city I live in is the biggest in our area with a population of about 35,000, and my province/state population is about 135,000 haha. There are no secrets here!

What Guys Said 6

• I just got on Zoosk :/
    I'm 19 and not a weirdo haha. I hope it DOES work, else all those questions I answered would be for nuthin, haha.

• I know, it takes forever right? I had partially completed a profile for plenty of fish last year before I chickened out. There were so many questions!
      And your pic looks cute, I'm sure you'll get a date :) Anyway, let me know how Zoosk works out for ya, I may try it next.

• Haha heck yea. You gotta answer the question for yourself, what answer you want your 'match' to have, then if the answer is important or not. Lol. Just a whole bunch of blah! Just now I got notified that someone looked at my profile, but I'm not allowed to look at theirs if I don't subscribe and pay. Uuuuughhhh!!!

And thanks :) I really hope so. Also, of course, I'll stay in touch

• Yes, I've heard that before. And some of the questions are hard to answer or I sound like a dim whit when I try to answer them haha.
      I'm definitely not going to pay! Whole point of using a free site is because it's free :P

• I think dating online can be a great experience! I haven't heard of many couples online who followed through to meeting in real life and getting married but even then, if real life dating seems too big of a jump for you, try being with someone online first :3

• Oh, I want to meet them and date in person. I'm just not meeting any new people that I'm interested in right now for whatever reason. And I'm not in it to get married right now haha! If we stayed together that long, great. But I'd be highly doubtful it would happen. Even if I met a guy in person, not online, right now I don't think we'd get married.

• So your looking to do local online dating at first then progressing to real life dating with that same person right? I think that's smart considering how many different people you can meet online beforehand without that awkward feeling xD Does this make you excited? :3

• i think its fine. Tinder pretty much gets straight to the point. I've talked to some nice girls on it. It has the reputation of being only for hook ups but it doesn't have to be. As for sites like plentyoffish, well that's pretty much a womans world. As a guy, it sucks, but you will be able to have your pick of men basically..

• Have heard of others having success, some... Not so much. I never found anyone on pof, meetme, Ashley Madison, tinder, down... Unless you count stanks, skanks, jokes, and scam artists.

Word to the wise, just be careful how you go about the search and the in person meeting. You have to be extra cautious with this group

• I don't think very highly of it.

• I want it but i thinkdoesnt gonna work well tho'

What Girls Said 5

• Unless you plan on meeting... not so good. I had many internet romances, but felt nothing with any of them. I was infatuated and happy, all right, but I didn't feel like I wanted to kiss the person or anything except when my hormones got weird.

When you have contact in real life: good. When it's within internet: not so much so. But everyone likes different types of cake, so it might be your piece of cake to try net dating.

• It's not going to pan out well.

People are fake or just surfing around to look at nice chick picks.

• I know someone who found a steady boyfriend by using a dating website... I don't remember what one. But I don't like 'em, they're creepy and weird.

• Use Okcupid.

• I've never used tinder, thought it was for hook ups. I met my bf almost 2 years ago on Okcupid (I loved this site). Plenty of fish mostly had guys being nasty in their messages. Granted that happened on Okcupid but not nearly as much.

My advice is talk for a while over a week or 2 on the site. Then if you feel comfortable give out your number too text or meet. ONLY MEET IN PUBLIC the first few times. Go out for coffee, dessert, bowling, etc. Don't agree to him making you dinner at his house (I was asked that a lot). Yes It's sweet but not for a first date.

I recommend that you always pay for yourself too. No commitment or obligations on either side.

Having a meal seemed too long and pressured to avoid awkward silences. I think bars are bad because you both shouldn't be getting drunk for a first meeting.

Make sure you feel comfortable and safe. No one ever attacked me but on more than one occasion the guy got handsy. One got angry because I wouldn't go home with him.

If any guy gives you shit for not wanting to meet at his place or says you're taking things to slow he's not with it. A respectable guy week want you to feel safe and comfortable.