Dating a guy who doesn't speak your language?

Me and 'the guy' have been seeing each other for about 3 1/2 months. Stuff seems to be going okay. We are both from different countries but live in Italy now. I am learning Italian but it's nowhere good enough to even try and have a conversation in. He's Spanish and speaks good English but I can see it's a struggle sometimes. We had a chat the other night about 'us' and he said that he wishes I could see the person he is in Spain because he's a lot more talkative and outgoing when he doesn't always have to think about things to say.

I've noticed that he's on his phone not constantly but a normal enough amount... but rarely texts me unless I message him first or it's to arrange a time to meet etc. When we hang out, there's a lot of silence between us... it's not awkward but I'm a natural talker so I feel the need to fill silences and text a lot. I want to hang out and watch a movie or something but he says that he needs to watch them with subtitles. But I really don't care about subtitles- they don't bother me.

I guess... is this just a language thing and is stuff okay? It seems to be okay.
Or is it something to be concerned about? I was just wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation.

Updates:
** Note** text a lot doesn't mean a million times day. I probably will text him once every 2 days. I don't want to be 'that girl' but I do spend a lot of time on my phone... not when I'm with him of course.
The bad thing is I am Canadian and he is Spanish and we both live in Italy for work. He speaks almost fluent Italian because it's similar to Spanish. I am trying to learn Italian for my daily life and can hardly fathom learning two languages at the same time. That's not to say I don't want to learn Spanish or wouldn't if the relationship progresses.

0|0
2|1

Most Helpful Girl

• It's definitely a language barrier.
    If I were dating someone that hardly understood me... I would barely want to talk either.
    Continue to show an effort in learning his language.
    He needs to do so as well (try to become more fluent in your language).

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• People learn languages, with the time this will no longer be an issue. So, I think it's just a language thing and you don't need to worry.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Until one of you become fluent in the other's language, there's always going to be a communication gap. Not being able to truly communicate because of a language barrier is not practical for a relationship. If you're serious about pursuing this then your main and foremost focus should be learning to speak fluently in his mother tongue.

0|0
    0|0
    • The bad thing is I am Canadian and he is Spanish and we both live in Italy for work. He speaks almost fluent Italian because it's similar to Spanish. I am trying to learn Italian for my daily life and can hardly fathom learning two languages at the same time. That's not to say I don't want to learn Spanish or wouldn't if the relationship progresses.

• Show All
    • Believe me, I am trying but my Italian at the moment is 'Where is the bus stop?' and 'I would like some pasta, please.' level. Haha. Hardly riveting conversation

• Yeah, learning a new language isn't easy at all. It may take a lot longer than you'd expect to fully grasp the language. Being immersed in the Italian culture and language should help a lot, though, and you could actually ask the guy for help.