Dating a guy who doesn't speak your language?

Me and 'the guy' have been seeing each other for about 3 1/2 months. Stuff seems to be going okay. We are both from different countries but live in Italy now. I am learning Italian but it's nowhere good enough to even try and have a conversation in. He's Spanish and speaks good English but I can see it's a struggle sometimes. We had a chat the other night about 'us' and he said that he wishes I could see the person he is in Spain because he's a lot more talkative and outgoing when he doesn't always have to think about things to say.

I've noticed that he's on his phone not constantly but a normal enough amount... but rarely texts me unless I message him first or it's to arrange a time to meet etc. When we hang out, there's a lot of silence between us... it's not awkward but I'm a natural talker so I feel the need to fill silences and text a lot. I want to hang out and watch a movie or something but he says that he needs to watch them with subtitles. But I really don't care about subtitles- they don't bother me.

I guess... is this just a language thing and is stuff okay? It seems to be okay.
Or is it something to be concerned about? I was just wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation.

** Note** text a lot doesn't mean a million times day. I probably will text him once every 2 days. I don't want to be 'that girl' but I do spend a lot of time on my phone... not when I'm with him of course.
The bad thing is I am Canadian and he is Spanish and we both live in Italy for work. He speaks almost fluent Italian because it's similar to Spanish. I am trying to learn Italian for my daily life and can hardly fathom learning two languages at the same time. That's not to say I don't want to learn Spanish or wouldn't if the relationship progresses.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's definitely a language barrier.
    If I were dating someone that hardly understood me... I would barely want to talk either.
    Continue to show an effort in learning his language.
    He needs to do so as well (try to become more fluent in your language).

What Guys Said 1

• People learn languages, with the time this will no longer be an issue. So, I think it's just a language thing and you don't need to worry.

What Girls Said 1

• Until one of you become fluent in the other's language, there's always going to be a communication gap. Not being able to truly communicate because of a language barrier is not practical for a relationship. If you're serious about pursuing this then your main and foremost focus should be learning to speak fluently in his mother tongue.

• The bad thing is I am Canadian and he is Spanish and we both live in Italy for work. He speaks almost fluent Italian because it's similar to Spanish. I am trying to learn Italian for my daily life and can hardly fathom learning two languages at the same time. That's not to say I don't want to learn Spanish or wouldn't if the relationship progresses.

• Believe me, I am trying but my Italian at the moment is 'Where is the bus stop?' and 'I would like some pasta, please.' level. Haha. Hardly riveting conversation

• Yeah, learning a new language isn't easy at all. It may take a lot longer than you'd expect to fully grasp the language. Being immersed in the Italian culture and language should help a lot, though, and you could actually ask the guy for help.