Is describing your significant other as "your current boyfriend" a bad thing?

I was talking to a girl today, who described her boyfriend as "my current boyfriend" to me. I was kind of taken aback. I was thinking her BF would be upset to here himself described that way.

So am I thinking too much into that?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't see how it is a bad thing. What do you see negative about it?

• Current makes me think that you plan to replace it as some point. I feel like for a relationship while it's likely for things not to work out, saying "current" feels like you aren't expecting it to.

• Huh? I don't understand where you are coming from on that. Yes, I do, years, at least over three, and she lives with him. I didn't use the term significant other loosely.

• It's her current boyfriend... You're looking way too into it.

What Girls Said 2

• I would use that term if I was talking about past relationships and then my current one. But I wouldn't refer to him normally that way.

• Hmmm, it was slightly used in this context. I can see how that word "current" can come out with that. Thank you! That helps a lot.

• You're thinking too much into that. I mean, yeah it sounds a bit "disrespectful" but I think she hadn't the intention to make it sound that way.

What Guys Said 1

• "Current" implies fickleness to me.

• That's exactly the vibe I got, to a tee.

• you would have thought a girl who was solid would just say "my boyfriend". People say you shouldn't read too much into things, I say you should always note down little clues that might be a glimpse into somebody's psyche!

• Interesting concept. I like it. Thank you.