Do you think having racial preferences when dating is considered to be racist?

Do you think its racist if someone has racial preferences when dating? Why or why not? Do you think its racist if someone absolutely refuses to date a particular race? Why or why not? And last, what are your racial preferences while dating? Or does it not matter to you?

This question is out of mere curiosity. It was something I was asked by someone else, and I didn't have an answer for them. I didn't know what to think of it, so I figured I'd ask you guys and see how others felt about it.

Most Helpful Girl

• No it's not racist it's just what your attracted to , absolutely nothing wrong about that. It depends on the reasons someone refuses to date a specific race. If it's just because they aren't attracted to that race whatever but if they say something racist than yeah obviously but overall no having a preference isn't racist it's just your personal preference.

What Guys Said 19

• no I think they are just preferences. it would be racism if a girl thought (for example) white men were inferior to Hispanic men.

that said if someone refuses to date a race I think you have to ask the question what is their reason for refusal? is it because they presume they race isn't a good partner or is because they simply aren't attracted to a certain race

• Theoretically, not necessarily.

In practice, it's usually driven by stereotypes.

If someone 'absolutely refuses' to date a particular race, that's almost certainly stereotypes which smacks of racism.

I have a preference for women who have dark hair. I much more often find women with dark hair attractive. It is not accurate though to say I've never found a blonde woman attractive, or that I'd 'absolutely refuse' to date someone with blonde hair.

• It's all about speaking in light tones and careful wording... isn't it? If someone flat out say I'm not into blondes, they would jump to accuse you of being racist.

• It's not racist at all. For God's sakes, we are allowed to have preferences. By that rationale, I'm ageist if I don't want to date a 90 year old, and all gay men are misogynists. We are allowed to have personal preferences.

I have only dated white chicks, not because of any preference, but just circumstance.

• I posted a similar question a while back and had a poll, so if you're interested, here's the link...

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1234455-do-you-think-racial-preferences-in-dating-are-racist-do-you-believe

• NO it is not racist. It is just your preference. The word 'racist' is the most misunderstood word. Every naive or left/communist/marxist uses it to make you feel guilty about you preferences and even your own self as a white (I guess). The word racist has become a tool of speech and thought oppression and every anti-white or simple brainwashed person will use it at EVERY given opportunity, even in cases which make no sense. Whites are being brainwashed with anti white propaganda for decades and now they are so much afraid to be labeled a 'racist', as the anti whites define the word. I as a white prefer to date only inside my race. Apparently being white today and loving your own folk does make you a bad person or a 'racist'.

• rac·ist/ˈrāsəst/
    noun
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

Just because I don't like a certain race doesn't mean that I'm racist. I have to believe that a race is better than another race. I could say I don't like black people because they dress silly. That doesn't make me racist, I just don't like how they dress.

I'm using the above as examples to prove a point.

• If it is then every person in the world who isn't completely asexual or bisexual is sexist.

• Having preferences is one thing, and isn't racist if you give people a fair shake on an individual basis, but outright rejecting a race as a whole is definitely racist.

• are you told not to date these people, or you choose not to date them? Do your friends and family say "dont date xyz" or friends say that, or you chose though your own volition

• Preferences are preferences.

Only leftists/liberals would find them racist. And their opinion are completely irrelevant just the way it should be.

• No, I'm attracted to women, that's natural, and I naturally like white women as I am white. Same thing happens often, but I once in awhile see a cute or very attractive woman of a different ethnicity, and I'm like "WOW". It's natural, he'll... some women back during the slavery times would treat slaves like garbage... but then sleep with them when their husband wasn't around. Attraction has no relation to racism.

• No, you are attracted to what you are.

• If a white man won't date a white woman is he racist?

• Everything is considered racist in today's society.

• No, because we all have our own personal tastes when it comes to what we find attractive.

• its only like prefering blondes to brunettes really. i personally have no racial preference

• everyone has there own choices , and have every right to live according to that choices so that's not racist.
    For me on top of all everyone is a human at first , the color of skin , ethnicity comes afterwards so no particular preference on my side

• Of course not, preferences are just that, preferences.

• I think it mostly has to do with what other people (family and friends) will think of the relationship. I date white and Hispanic girls. I'm kind of attracted to black girls also but would never date one because I wouldn't want to explain it all the time.

• What would you have to explain?

• Coming from a mostly Hispanic city it is generally not accepted to date a black girl. Where I'm from (culture etc.) black people pretty much stay with black people. That's just the way it is.

What Girls Said 10

• No, it is not racist. Of course I feel everyone should not rule out a race just because they contain different characteristics than another, but you can't help what you are attracted to and if it's one particular race , then there is nothing wrong with that. It's just called having a preference.

• Nope. I couldn't give two shits.

• I wouldn't take offence if people say they're not into dating Asians at all.

• If they do I don't like them because, they are black/asian/latino/white then thats racist but, if you say something like I don't know I just have always been more into a particular race but nothing against *beep* race its not really.

• Well, it depends on why they have the preference... Is it because they just find that race physically ugly, or because they find them inferior?

If it's based on the fact that you just don't find that specific race attractive because their general look doesn't appeal to you, not at all...

I personally find Turkish, Arab, and Paki men unappealing. However, I don't see them as inferior, at all. They're human beings, just like me. I just don't fancy their general facial features.

• I don't think a preference is racist but refusing to date a certain race is.

• I think you hit the nail on the head. Exactly what I was thinking.

• I don't think so.

• No not at all, it just has to do with what you find attractive, and people of certain races tend to have different personalities, so to me it's almost like saying I have a preference for smart or tall guys.

• My boyfriend only dates Asian girls...
    It's not racist but it's fucking weird.

• Is he asian? Does actively avoid dating other girls and only date Asians, or has he just happened to only date asians?

• No he's Mexican.

• He's actively doing.

• It depends really. Some are racist by saying all people of that race are ugly or make bad partners but some aren't because when it comes to looks we all have preferences and skin colour does add to the look.
    I'm half black and half white but I find black guys much more attractive and probably wouldn't date a white guy. I've got nothing against white people of course because that'd mean I have a problem with 50% of me, it's just that most aren't my type. I have seen a few good looking ones but I just see way more black. Plus, a black guy I can relate to much more than a white guy and I need to be able to relate to my partner.
    Like so many white people think racism doesn't exist and we're just making things up, it'd really sadden me if I was with a guy who was just blind to it all and couldn't see what I'm going through with that stuff.