If your bf/gf gets a scholarship to a school out of state what should you do? be happy for them and support them or try and convince them to stay?

my coworker said he had been stressed out and he didn't know what to do. His girlfriend received a scholarship to a university but the only problem is it's out of state. He loves her and he couldn't be more happier for her but part of him wants her to stay local but he doesn't wanna come off as being selfish. What do you think? I personally think he should support her. If its meant to be it'll workout no matter the distance. Just my opinion though.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think he should support her too. See, I always put others before myself. I would call myself a pretty selfless person. I always put my family and friends and boyfriends happiness before my own. If my boyfriend got a college scholarship for a school out of state, I would support him fully. It would hurt like hell having to watching him leave and knowing there's a chance that it could be the end of our relationship, but I would NEVER tell him to stay for me and I would hope that he would do the same.

• I'm the same exact way. I always put other peoples happiness before my own. is he wrong for wanting her to stay?

• No, he's not wrong, but he would be if he told her how he felt and said "I don't want you to go." If he did that, then yes, he'd be in the wrong. At least, to me he would.

What Girls Said 5

• I'd support him and be very proud of them. I would insist that they leave because opportunities like that don't happen every day.

• I'd be happy for them, encourage them, and most of all support them in their decision to go. You can't ask someone to stay just because you'll miss them. You have to put your feelings aside, your selfish need aside, and allow them to go and experience something new and exciting.

• excellent answer! I just think he's worried about losing her. I tried to explain to him that if you guys truly love each other then distance shouldn't matter. thanks for your opinion!

• seeing what your sister and friend went through in a long distance relationship, do you yourself think you can ever be in one?

• I don't know actually... It would depend how strongly I felt for the person. What about you?

• Support her. It's probably a hard enough decision as it is since she's probably thinking about him. She needs support and to know that he'll be there. I know I wouldn't want to be the person who contributed to a big life decision and it wasn't in their best interest.

• Yes my thoughts exactly, this is an important part of his life and will shape him into what type of man he's going to be, if it's meant to be then it will work itself out

• I agree. What would you do in that situation though if you were the one who got a scholarship and your bf told you he wanted you to stay local?

• You and me both. Thanks again for your opinion :)

• No problem

• I would support my SO if he got a scholarship

What Guys Said 3

• This is probably gonna happen to me next year when I go to college, if I have a girlfriend by then. So yeah literally everyone that SHE knows is definitely gonna recommend that she just goes for the scholarship.

Why not at least try to have a long distance relationship for a bit.

• Gotta support them, otherwise they'll eventually hate and resent you for making them miss out on educational/economic/life opportunities.

THAT'S LIFE IN CAPITALISM IN THE 21ST CENTURY!

HUZZAH!

• I'd be happy for her and expect the worse.