Would you date someone with oral herpes?

That's my question. Why and why not.

Guy im dating is afraid ill give it to him, or get it on his penis.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 13

• An estimated 50-80% of all adults have oral herpes. It just stays dormant in many people. Usually it activates when your immunity levels are weaker, like when you're getting sick.

Most people don't even know they have it because it never activates. The guy your dating likely has it already, but its simple. Don't have sex during an outbreak.

• Well, of course I would. The staggering majority of people experience oral herpes (it sounds far less disconcerting when it's called a cold sore LOL) at some point during their lives.

www.m.webmd.com/.../understanding-cold-sores-basics

Would I be kissing all over them or trying for sexy action during that time? Probably not, no. I mean, they're not the cutest looking things, but really it's all about both people's health. You just wait a week or whatever and let it pass.

• "Guy im dating is afraid ill give it to him, or get it on his penis."... it's real risk, he could get genital herpes if you give him a BJ without condom.

However, how about not give oral sex unprotected... and no at all during outbreaks, if that's doable then I don't see a problem?

• Didn't you ever have fever blisters?

• i have oral herpes, but the guy i like wouldn't want to kiss me, etc, because of it. it's kinda sad really.

• No that's not me but if I knew for sure you were going to be with me for the rest of my life, which I highly doubt then maybe you have a good chance. Preferably Id rather take up the butt

• A lot of people unknowingly have oral herpes but to kiss someone or who engage in oral sex or sexual intercourse is a sure way of picking up either the first strain or the second strain of the virus.

• You mean like a cold sore? I would I've already had them anyway so I've got it too.

• did your gf ever get mad at you for not telling her?

• No because I told her. She said she just doesn't get them anyway. And she never has the whole time so maybe she's right. And I've had one since even and she kissed me with it.

I was like no you don't have to... but then she did anyway.

• well thats good, happy for you!

• What is oral herpes?

• cold sores. its a tiny cluster of bumps that appear on your mouth region. lasts 1-3 weeks and ranges in # of outbreaks per year. I've had 4 in the last 10 years. it can cause genital herpes, but if it does, it should occur less frequently in that area since the virus strain isn't in its "preferred" area of residence. The virus hides out in nerves that are connected to either the mouth or genital regions. If you get herpes 1 (oral) infecting the genital region, it is less potent. Same goes for herpes 2 (genital) occuring in the oral region. Generally herpes is a harmless disease with a hugely negative social stigma attached to it so it makes people less willing to date someone with herpes.

• I guess he finds herpes to be more of a pain than it's worth.

• yea, i agree with you.

• Sorry that would deffenatly freak me out aswell.

• Probably not, I don't want herpes. (Unless I have it and am symptomless...) There'll be a vaccine eventually, so once that's out then sure.

I think they can be contagious even when there's not an outbreak (just less likely to spread it to you), so I think it is a reasonable reason not to date someone as you can't be intimate with them. (Unless you have or don't mind catching herpes...)

• Many people suffer from the Herpes-Virus, so I don't think it's a dealbreaker.
    However, I understand that he wouldn't want to kiss you while your herpes is actually visible as it's most contagious at that time.

• oh, i dont have an outbreak, i barely get them. but i knew he was conscious of stuff like that. i should've known better

• My fear of contracting the cold sore virus is one reason I didn't even date until my 30s. Never had one, and I always used to tell myself that I would kill myself if I got one... that's how scared I am of oral herpes.

• Women in their 30's are more likely to have herpes than girls in their late teens, as it's incurable. You'd be less likely to catch it if you did your dating when you were younger instead.

• Well, my fiancee never kissed anyone before me, and she's never had one to my knowledge. @Bysshe

• Sure, I just meant as a strategy for finding a partner without herpes you'd have a higher proportion meeting that requirement when you're younger than in your 30's.

• I wouldn't, but that's me.

• i respect that. but why not?

• I like being herpes free and won't chance it.

What Girls Said 1

• Cold sores? Cold sores freak me the fuck out lmao but that's no reason not to date someone! You shouldn't kiss someone if they hve outbreak anyways

• why gross?

• Okay, seems I misremembered the prevalence...

• @Bysshe yeah lol, colored are extremely common!