Girlfriend not updating relationship status on Facebook?

I have a long distance relationship with her. I met her on fb. she said she wants to marry me. But doesn't update her relationship status on her fb. Her profile still says " single". She gets really jealous though when I talk to other girls and tries to tell them that i am taken. Whenever she sees another girl hitting on me then she comments on my fb pics "are u cheating on me ". She asked for my fb pass once because she was suspicious that i was cheating. She even mentions in fb groups that she is my girlfriend. When I asked her two weeks later after i met her on fb she said she can't update her relationship status or even hide that she is single on her fb because I haven't gone out on a date with her in real. She has introduced me to her friends and classmates but I haven't talked to her family yet even after almost 4 months. When I asked her again after 3 three months since I met her, she said she talked to her parents about me and her parents don't allow that is why she didn't update her relationship status. I forgot to ask her to hide her single relationship status this time though. My confusion is that even if her parents didn't allow she could still have hidden her single relationship status on fb. Is she not ready for a relationship yet or is she seeing other people.
What should I do. break it off with her or continue as it is or ask her again to either hide or update her relationship status. When I had a fight with her on something and cut her loose and blocked her recently, she was crying for hours and even infront of friends in real and on phone. She does has some feelings for me but I don't understand why does she not update her relationship status yet.
I would appreciate advice from some professionals, women or men who have experience.

• continue relationship
  • break up
She isn't 18 yet
But she will be 18 within a year

Most Helpful Guy

• You like 'em possessive...

What Girls Said 5

• Maybe she worries that her relationship status won't be fully hidden or someone will find out. It's understandable if her parents don't agree with relationships with people she meets online, especially with guys a bit older. How about you set your relationship status to single and see how she responds? She'll know how you feel then and keep it to single until she changes hers.

• If she gets that worried about you cheating on her, she doesn't fully trust you (and maybe even herself) and isn't ready to be with someone. I would break it off and wait to resume anything for a while. In the meantime, be her friend, be supportive, get to know her parents, etc... If it is something you really want to pursue. Trust is an extremely important part of a relationship. If you can't trust each other, you're in for a disaster... seriously.

• Look, save yourself a lot of heart ache. Your girlfriend has trust issues first. Second, she doesn't want to change her status until she's sure your hers. Which will take a while to prove because she has trust issues. Smdh. If your up for it stay but if she's driving you crazy, walk. There's nothing worse than being in a relationship with someone who doesn't trust you and you don't trust.

• stop being a stalker and stop over thinking it.

• Don't make it a big deal. Just focus on something your relationship will make it last.

What Guys Said 12

• If you're really that bothered about her relationship status on Facebook, you need to sort out your priorities
    It is one of the LEAST important things in a relationship, if not THE least
    Enjoy it and make it last. Long distance relationships are hard, and doing that over a long distance relationship can make you really self conscious about it. So put it out of your mind because it really doesn't matter

• This entire situation sounds farcical to me and I'd get rid of her and focus on having a relationship with someone that isn't a long distance away from me.

• She's anticipating the inevitable failure that comes with online relationships between teenagers who talk about marriage before they've ever met in person.

• So she told her parents about you and they didn't accept to make her update her relationship on facebook?

• Yeah that is what she told me. I haven't actually asked her parents.

• you don't even need to ask , she's lying. you'll have to meet her in person if not then you really need to cut your relation with her. something is fishy about her.

• How often do you see her?

• Maybe she is being threatened by someone or she fears her parents that they might say something bad to you.

• Its just Facebook for crying out loud this is why I hate social media.

• boo hoo.. Facebook isn't life!

• Well, she is using you, but just do not give a fuck about it. it is not a big deal

• Why are you trying to date a girl over Facebook homie go find a girl in real life it's better than messing around with a random girl who you just talk with...

• She can't change that she's single! thats an excuse

she's not sure if she want to stay with u and I think she want to find more choices

Give her ultimatum change it or we broke if she refuse break up she's not serious with u

But if she accept stay I think it's better

• How old is she? (Are you actually 23?)

• Whether or not someone has updated their Facebook details shouldn't matter, but going by the rest of what you wrote this sounds like quite a weird relationship.

• But she will be 18 within a year

• So you're 23 and she's 17?