Too Embarrassed To Make An Online Dating Profile?

I've been single for 3 years now, and I'm ready to jump back into the dating scene. The only problem is that I'm pretty shy, so it's hard for me to actually meet guys on campus.

I've been tossing around the idea of making a dating profile through OkCupid (if there are better sites then please let me know). I kind of feel like resorting to online dating is almost like admitting defeat, or admitting I'm desperate. I'm not looking for a soul mate right now. I'm just interested in meeting some cool people that I hopefully hit it off with.

So, what do you think? Should I be embarrassed for wanting to make a profile? Is it a bad idea?

• Go ahead and make the profile!
  • No, do not make the profile!

Most Helpful Guy

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with making an online dating account. Making an online dating account doesn`t mean you`re desperate or that you`re sad or something, it means that you`re looking for someone in a different kind of way. Trying to find someone you like on a dating site is easier for people because they can instantly see if someone has similar interests to make it easier when dating and also having the ability to find someone that fits your perfect guy/girl.

You may be shy, dut dont be afraid of sending someone a message asking if he/she would like to chat sometime because this may give you confidence when you`re going on an actual date. Sure there are times that someone doesn`t feel the same towards you when you ask him/her to chat, but that`s the same as in real life but easier to get over with.
    I`ve made an account recently where I message 8 girl and 2 of them were interested in chatting with me even when one girl described herself as extremely shy.

So basically there`s nothing wrong about it and it gives you the possibility of finding your perfect partner fast, easy and with more confidence because of your shyness.
    I don`t know if there`s any good dating site for your region, I myself use relatieplanet. nl as I`m Dutch.

What Guys Said 4

• There is no reason to be embarrassed, so go for it. Also, you should be more confident in yourself at College, you seem like a woman that is very good at expressing, as you have shown in this question. Meaning that just be yourself at school and you will attract plenty of guys, and even a few girls, lol

• Why are you embarrassed? In our age group, most people meet on the internet. Why do you think people have Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc accounts? To "connect" with old friends? No, it's to meet people.

I've noticed this trend especially in college.

• if you're that shy try online dating then... but don't expect too much from it.. just to inform you

• It entirely depends on the type of website. Free online dating sites are a waste, because it gives people the FREEdom to be extremely picky and they are loaded with trolls. However, pay-sites are much more effective (I might try one.)

• nothing wrong about it xD prepare for a flood of sexual offers though ^^

What Girls Said 2

• Just be true to yourself. Be honest on your profile and choose your most flattering pictures!

You may be shy and dates you go on might go well and they might not but try not to be disheartened. The more practice you get going on dates the better at it you'll get.

Since becoming single in April last year, I went on dates with about 8 different guys. Some of them didn't like me and some I didn't like. Just go with the flow and have fun! :)

• At the end of the day, every person on the site you choose is in the exact same situation, so why be embarrassed? They're all doing the same thing as you.

• This is such a GOOD POINT. Why didn't I think of that? LOL

Thanks!