Are most americans so personal on a first date?

I'm from Europe and went on a date with a guy from NY, he was bombarding me with (in my opinion) really personal questions eg. why my parents are divorced, how my relationship is with all my family members, how many relationships I have had, if I've cheated or been cheated on, if I want to marry, if I am scared of death, he even asked if I have had anorexia... Is this just a cultural difference or is he just really personal or am I just a really closed person?

+ when I was trying to show I really didn't want to talk about these personal subjects by giving really short answers, he always reacted 'You are so weird! how can you not know this? It is your own life' like he didn't even realize he was asking way too personal questions and he even randomly tried to kiss me during these weird conversations. So may I assume he just lacks social skills and not all americans are like this?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm from Europe too and I think that's weird, you need to wait a while before broaching those kinds of subjects. My reaction would have been...

http://i.imgur.com/hSzWEXa.gif

What Guys Said 10

• No , that was a job interview

• No, he is being rather forward with you. Some guys just want to know everything up front but unfortunately that usually means they are too self absorbed to find those things out later. And impatient.

• its just him.

• I don't think that's typical. It may be somewhat more typical for New Yorkers, but that level of probing would be considered bad form in the South, where manners, courtesy, and grace are more valued.

• I don't know. I've asked someone if they've been cheated on before, merely because I have been... And well, I feel confident that if you have too, that you'd know the pain of it, and you wouldn't put me through it. But the rest of that stuff I'd say is just way too personal.

• He got a little too personal asking about past relationships and your family... especially If it was only a first date!

No, not all Americans are that way. :)

• Well this is how it is America. Welcome to the land of opportunity lol. A lot of guys and girl are like that so he asked these questions in order to avoid drama and trouble down the road in the relationship. I don't blame him, it's become so ridiculous here. Where from Europe are you?

• I know some guys like this, but none of them are people to be trusted with a relationship, they're the kind of insecure drama queens who take everything far too personally and can't take a hint and are extremely jealous way too easily. They all get far too needy and a good deal of them even get borderline abusive with the people they date getting controlling and desperate and annoying and whiny and I'm honestly sincerely concerned for the mental well being of them and their partners

• Haha, no, he was just lacking social skills. Way too heavy, way too fast.

• I can't speak for all 312 million of us, but that does sound a bit too personal.

What Girls Said 2

• That is just him, I don't know anybody who asks personal questions like that on a date... or interview.

• No. I think he was just trying too hard to make conversation.