Going on a date solo?

I'm seriously considering going to dinner and a movie by myself. The only thing that stops me is that I have a bit of social anxiety. I always feel like people are staring at me. I mean I go places by myself, but never like a restaurant or anything. So I guess my question is have you guys ever taken yourself on date?

Most Helpful Girl

• Do it girl! I've done it before and it can honestly be a very empowering experience. I was scared to at first because I didn't want people to judge me but then I thought, who cares if people judge me? Everyone gets judged anyway and I shouldn't have to have another person with me if I want to go out to dinner or a movie. So, I did it and it felt great. You can always bring a book or something with you when you're eating to make that part less awkward :)

• Somebody else mentioned the book thing too. But you're right. People are gonna judge you for one thing or another. I just need to quit worrying what others think.

• Thanks for MH! :)

• You're welcome!

What Guys Said 10

• Well, it's not exactly a date if it's solo, but definitely no big deal. I eat at restaurants by myself all the time. I usually just bring a book or a magazine with me and do some reading.

• I've eaten on my own a bunch of times, occasionally lunch from work, but also when travelling. I might bring something to read, but not always.

• if it's solo then it's not a date. but truth is you'd look "weird" if you go to a restaurant all alone

• Do it in the day time if you go by yourself.. On a sat night at prime time it will look kind of awkward for you on date night

• Been there, done that. Someone told me I had to learn how to date myself so I can learn how to date someone else. Make it a really good dinner and a movie you really like.

I recommend 'Interstellar' and 'Selma'.

• I do this all the time. Actually whenever I go to a restaurant or movie I am alone. And Im fine with that.

• Yep, just do it. I go to play pool (you know, billiards) alone all the time. Lemme tell you, people don't care about you in such situation.

• Lol I've gone to a movie by myself and there was no one else there so I was good. Going to dinner is really what I'm worried about.

• I go to brunch by myself once a week lol

• That's not a date at all...

• Yes I have. Hey just think maybe you will end up with a date

What Girls Said 7

• i wouldn't mind doing it, but probably not somewhere fancy, more because i dont wanna spend too much on myself. iv eaten out and done some shopping along before, but I'm yet to go to the movies by myself.

• I've gone to the movies solo before. Didn't want to, but everybody else had already seen it without me. Thankfully there was no one there lol. But on the off chance that I go shopping, I don't mind doing it alone. I think it's just eating alone that bothers me most.

• girl... u know what? dont let the way people look at u even provoke that thought of u going home=/ even if they do look, just shut em out.

• You're absolutely right. That's the mindset that I'm trying to have. They're gonna talk regardless. Thanks girl. 😊

• I've done that plenty. usually lunch, during the slower in between time, and a matinee though, that way the theatre and restaurant are almost empty. better service/quality of food and less awkwardness!

I get anxious when there's a large amount of people around.

• I do that all the time. I go to movies and eat alone. Not that I dont have friends but I prefer to have my own time and I actually love it. Thats why I still do it and even when I had boyfriend I still go out by myself!

So. Go for it :) You dont have to care about what other people will think, just enjoy!

• I have never done that unless I went to BK but I would feel to awkward to go out alone

• @Iron_Man my thoughts exactly.

• lol thats why I dont do it even though No one would act like that but still

• OH YEAH. I really enjoy it. I also call it a date with myself too. I don't care about what people think. When I go out with my friends I never really stare at someone because they were having a me time. So I figure other people would be too busy to judge me having a me time as well.

• Me either. I always commend them on having the confidence to do it. Some people make fun, but I'm learning that I need to start caring a lot less what people think.

• Yeah but if they do make fun of you, what's the worst that could happen? How big is the chance for you to see them again. Good luck with it ;)

• Lol you're right. Thank you!

• Nothing is awkward, society makes it awkward. Do whatever you want to do if that thing makes you happy , ofcourse not illegal things lol :P

• I always tske myself to a date :)
    There won't be anyone staring at us, once u get used to it u wld be fine. I used to think that way but I have overcame that obstacles.

• I like doing things on my own and I don't think people give a damn about my solitude. They will be busy concerning themselves with their own businesses.

• People probably don't, but in my head they do. That's what social anxiety is. I'm well aware that people probably aren't paying me any mind, but my brain makes me think otherwise.