Is there such a thing as damaged goods in dating?

If yes, what makes a person "damaged goods"?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Well the politically correct answer is no but...

I think there is. it would be person who's slept around with all the wrong people and as result has a lot of emotional damage/baggage, possibly even a kid. Now yes everyone has value and it would be nice to give everyone a chance but a person in the situation I've just described would be very hard to date and in my opinion would be more trouble than they are worth.

downvote me!! ლ (`ーยดლ)

• But I like your opinion (╯︵╰,)

• Sometimes people become damaged goods for reasons that are more complex than their genital. People may become damaged goods because they were consistently mistreated by a parent or because they were in a relationship with someone who passed away unexpectedly. Not everything is all about sex.

• @Panorama
      true

What Guys Said 10

• i don't believe so
    however, if i found out someone had cheated a few times, that would take them out my sights, thus making them "damaged" i guess?
    media.giphy.com/media/JZLFC4GJR3h6M/giphy.gif

• Off the top of my head, a girl who (it at least appears) will require more work (attention, reassurance, time, effort, etc.) than what I perceive her value to be. Girls who expect a man to do all the work (those who believe in making the guy chase them). Girls who are really insecure (those who cause problems because they automatically assume the worst has happened without proof and then defend those asinine delusions). Girls that believe only they have been hurt so they constantly need more time and is just not ready yet. I could probably go on for a while but it all really comes back to: perceived required work > perceived value (to me) = too damaged (undateable) for me.

• I am not going to answer yes or no I am going to say that some people can carry baggage into a relationship and then choose not to do anything about them. That is when they are damaged. Everyone has issues. What is one doing about them?

• Yes when they hold stuff back from you when your trying to form a relationship with them
    i find that can damage goods in dating. Some girl I'm talking to seems to have some issues
    she claims to be a manager of this restaurant but yet she finds time to text me lot but i notice
    not only me but others as well... She has learning disability it appears which is not a problem
    with me , she claims to be 25 but looks way younger.. I'm biting my tongue cause i see red flags.

• been in too many relationships and too many rejections. a broken heart... always paranoid of getting dumped, low self esteem so always starts fights or smothers the partner... making them really tired... also prone to cheating if they get a chane while things were rough (ill leave you before you leave me mentality, again brought by the insecurities... low self esteem... causes 100 problems otherwise can be avoided.

• Oh yeah! Damaged goods is definitely a thing, usually someone who undergoes extreme trauma, you've got rape victims, your idiots who got cheated on like fifteen times and couldn't see the light, your spendthrifts who were washed dry by some chick, etc. Basically anyone who is either a victim of a horrible crime or brain-stupid on love and can't help but get the shit kicked out of them emotionally or physically or both or monetarily or whatever.

• Yes women emotional baggage, promiscuous pasts/presents and single women with children are what I'd classify as damaged goods.

• Yes if they were like a slut or have slept with a lot of people or had an std or lots of std's.

• Of course there is... And younprobably onow what the reasons are.

What Girls Said 6

• Yes, I believe that damaged goods are a group of people who are not being proactive with resolving mental and/or emotional issues and roadblocks as well as generally getting their sh*t together. Damaged goods are those people who were collectively good then they failed to properly handle life’s complexities and now the good in them is either tainted, spoiled, or mainly depleted.

• Everyone had baggage. It's how you deal with adversity that determines character . Not how well you avoid it.

Shit happens. People who can't handle the fact that things happen in life you won't necessarily like , will not be supportive or logical partner. They are hoping on a fairy tale or a stepford wife.

I would prefer a real person who's been through it and come out on the other Sydenham rather than a privileged brat who has never know Hardship and I gave no idea if they can even handle life's stress. Too pampered. Being afraid if real life, Is equivalent to being grossed out by sex. Pretending everyone is a Barbie doll underneath with no undercarriage. It's childish. And delusional. And in the case of seeing people as things... That speaks volumes about character.

To me a damaged person is one who has to live in a make believe world where they are superior bc nothing's ever happened to them and nothing will.

I like people who have respect for others and can handle life's blows. Not run from them.

• In the condition of the proletariat, those of old society at large are already virtually swamped. The proletarian is without property; his relation to his wife and children has no longer anything in common with the bourgeois family relations; modern industry labour, modern subjection to capital, the same in England as in France, in America as in Germany, has stripped him of every trace of national character. Law, morality, religion, are to him so many bourgeois prejudices, behind which lurk in ambush just as many bourgeois interests.

• Yes, I would consider myself damaged goods, though I must be doing something right. I often feel that I shouldn't be dating and should die alone to not be a burden on anyone because of who I am now.

• oh gosh... well I dont think that about you at all!

• Well, I guess that's good but it's still not appealing to guys. Many guys would choose not to date me if they knew everything.

• when someone has a lot of baggage and they carry it around in post relationships. when their afraid of intamcy. or they won't let their guard down because their afraid their current significant other will do the same as past signicant others have done to hurt them. then they have to find someone to assure them there not like the past others and they won't hurt them... getting off topic. there is such a thing as damaged goods

• I don't believe in it
    a person is a person