Would you ever date someone new who suffered a mental illness?

If you found someone attractive enough and they had a decent personality outside of self esteem issues and lacked confidence, do you think you'd give them a chance?

Be BRUTALLY honest

• YES
  • NO

Most Helpful Girl

• What's the mental illness? Schizophrenia, bipolar, narrcisisst?

• Yeah, it kinda depends.

Certain handicaps are easier to overlook, while others can be catastrophic.

• Some things like Schizophrenia I would be extremely leary of because that can be hereditary. As for social awkwardness that can be overcome. There could be a million reasons as to why someone has social anxiety, highly introverted and so on. I was an extremely introverted child but as I got older I was bullied and withdrew and became extremely introverted. I didn't trust anyone, still don't. So certain things can be corrected it just takes time and patience. Other things need meds, lots of 'em.

• Sorry I was extroverted as a child.

What Girls Said 4

• Honestly, since I hate not giving people a chance, I said yes because yes, I would.

Fuck everyone who said no.(just kidding)

• I have. Never again. Supposedly his detachment dusorder made him ruin my self esteem. I don't want to forgive him. I'm also afraid to date again. I don't think I'd be able to survive another relationship like that... or I'd end up in jail for homicide.

• I am really sorry to hear that. Did you know that he suffered mental illness in the beginning or did it surface later on in the relationship?

• He hid it from me. I went ahead and dated me even though he knew he had it and he knew he ruined his past relationships because supposedly it makes him act like a dick. I wish he would have left me alone. I wish I knew better but I was naive. He was my first, and he just broke me.

• It depends, I'm not gonna enter into a relationship that I think I can't handle but personally, I don't like a possessive guy who has a tendency to be a killer..

• Yeah, my boyfriend has depression and it's really hard, but I love him :')

• Really? Did you know that he fought depression before you started dating?

• Yeah he told me before we went out; he's suffered from it for a long time, and when we became friends he'd talk to me about it

What Guys Said 4

• Depends on the "illness", the DSM-V now lists almost everything as some kind of syndrome or disorder.

• Yes I would like to be with somebody who has down syndrome...

• Yeah I would.

• I'm pretty sure almost all guys would if they are attracted to the girl. It's usually girls who are picky in this.