Why are there so few girls in engineering?

I really like science and engineering, most people I tell what I am doing think it is interesting. For me it is really great to discover something new, to find out how things work and to make my own little contribution to progress.
Yet there are still few girls in engineering. I would really like to have a partner who is doing something similar to me. I really enjoy having conversations on the same intellectual level. I also like travelling, I lived abroad for 2 years and I am fluent in 3 languages. I would just like to date a girl on the same level, but if I look around with these criteria I see that there are a lot more guys than girls who would fit in as a partner. Supposing girls and guys are equally gifted, why do girls still not achieve the same as guys do?

Most Helpful Girl

• One reason is most Engineering Disciplines are a "Boys Club" and they like it that way. I'm a second year engineering major, will be transferring to state university next fall after I earn my Associates in Engineering. (Most people who graduate with an Associates go on to work as Engineering Tech's.). I've had to almost fight my way through my Engineering classes even some of the teachers don't encourage girls as much as they do guys. I accel at math and sciences, have an analytical, visual mind (a lot of girls don't visualize) so I can see and solve problems. I want to be a Civil Engineer when I grow up, with a minor in Mechanical Engineering so I can work on Bridges and Structures. Currently by Test Scores and Grades, I am ranked second in my class, behind one (poor geeky) guy who must eat and sleep engineering, seriously he's like some sort of savant or something.

What Girls Said 3

• I'm in mechanical engineering, I'm a sophomore. I'm also minoring in Spanish. I know its hard to find a girl. I should know I see only 6 other girls in my 4 classes all day. But I'm good friends with them. Another one is just like me and is minoring in Spanish as well. If you want more girls maybe try the health and science department. They're pretty smart too, plus you won't be too similar knowledge wise. You'd be able to teach each other things.

• I'm in electrical engineering, not fully done with my degree. I think there's 8 other girls in my 40 student class.

I think it has something to do with how kids are raised. Boys are raised doing work with dad in his shop/garage/whatever. How many girls do you know do that?

• I know that it is somehow related to the upbringing, but I do not think it is the only cause -I think boys and girls are different - even if they had the exact same upbringing -anyway, this does not help me

Also your quota is far better than what I am used to from Germany. Maybe society in the US is a bit further than we are in Europe ... or as education is free in Germany and you will not have to pay debts from your studies, so you can study what you are really interested in, your decission does not need to make economic sense.

• I know quite a few girls in civil engineering, and several married to other engineers. But any intelligent girl should appreciate your brain and conversations. My last boyfriend was an EE and I loved our "smart" talks. Unfortunately, he had the emotional intelligence of a beetle and things fell apart.

What Guys Said 3

• They are around. I know some.

Equal overall intelligence does not mean both sexes will generally achieve the same results in any specific field.

If you want to meet some such girls, I'm sure there's some means to doing so on the internet.

• I do not really see the necessity for girls in engineering to try internet dating if you have 90 % guys around you. I also tried internet dating, but I did not really like the girls I saw there...

• I have done my BE in electrical.. Though there were no girls in my batch but after my batch I found many girls...
    I found many girls studying BE in software, telecom, electronic, bio medical etc in majority...

• Too busy trying to date harry Potter.