Serious question: Why are white people seen as superior to non-white people?

It seems like most people prefer to date whites, and after having been exposed to other cultures, it's uncanny how much the "attractive" features resemble those of white Europeans.

The following may sound offensive to some, but it's simply what I've observed, and I think it is worth questioning.

Examples: In India, skin lightening is a multi-million dollar industry, and it's advertised on TV all the time.

East Asia uses skin lightening creams as well, and there are also makeup things for women which hold their eyelids up to make their eyes look bigger. There's even eyelid surgery, and nose surgery to make people's noses more pointy and narrow (European-like)

Skin lightening creams are also popular in Africa.

In Latin America, soap operas are always overrepresented with the people who have more Spanish ancestry, and less Native American ancestry.

Bollywood stars are always much, much lighter skinned than average Indians.

Even within white people, there is a strong preference for blue eyes and blonde hair. Colored contacts are very popular among people of all races.

White people are the tallest race on average.

White people are also one of the few races that can digest milk properly (Arabs, Indians, and certain Africans also can)

On dating sites, women of all races prefer white men to a large degree.

Men on dating sites seem to respond to all races of women except for black, but when asked the question "do you strongly prefer to date within your own race", nearly half of white men answered "yes". This might be because of the huge number of messages women get on dating sites, making men open to the idea of pursuing women whom they normally wouldn't pay attention to.

White countries are also seen as the most desirable.

So my question is... why all of that?

Most Helpful Girl

• *shrug* no clue. maybe some things are just better. maybe its the golden ratio.

i do NOT think beauty is a social construct. for example, some of us are never around equine animals, but we still see the last listed here as most beautiful. therefore it is not a social construct, its simply beautiful.

i.dailymail.co.uk/.../...7000005DC-768_306x423.jpg
    i.dailymail.co.uk/.../...C000005DC-464_306x454.jpg
    cdn.cultofandroid.com/.../stallion.jpg

• but the first one is most cute lol

• I don't think people generally consider a black stallion to be much more desirable than a white one.

In any case, people bond much, much less with their horses than they do with dogs, cats, or other people. A horse can be chosen more for it's "objective" aesthetic, rather than for an emotionally pleasing, cute look. Kind of the same way people can like shiny jet-black cars, but not so much jet-black people.

• i didn't think about that
      when i think "stallion" the word "black" just kinda clicks with it. other colors are not much different

What Girls Said 17

• 2|4
  • I agree with you. But it's all in the history books.

Also, in Latino culture, we also have a bunch of "home remedies" to make you as light as possible.
    -Lots of people use skin lightening soaps.
    -People even use honey to attempt to lighten our dark brown eyes to hazel (at least).
    -Hair lightening remedies like putting lemon or hydrogen peroxide to make our hair lighter shade of brown, red, or even blonde

Also in black culture, straightening/perming/relaxing hair to straighten it.
    There's the #teamlightskin crap.

It's in the history books

I don't think anyone's superior. But it's in the history books. And I guess people still feel that way.

• What does straight hair or light eyes have to do with being in the history books though?

• Not history books, but as eurocentric as possible.

• "If you put a white man in the middle of a bunch minorities, he will look around and may think, 'I'm the only majority here!"
    -Forgot where I read this

• I guess there's an historical explanation for your question:
    White people went to other continents and they made native people believe that everything they did was good and right. They made those people believe that themselves and their traditions were bad, stupid or ugly.
    For instance, why do some people think that afro hair is ugly? Because white made black people believe that their hair is ugly, when it's not. It's only different and just because it's different it DOESN'T mean it's ugly.
    Non-white people were taught to think that only light skin is beautiful. And that's a LIE. You don't need to have light skin to be beautiful. I've seen some light-skinned ugly people and some dark-skinned gorgeous people. By this, I'm NOT saying that all light-skinned people are ugly and all dark-skinned people are beautiful, I think you know what I mean.
    There's also another problem, when you watch TV, how do people look? 99% of the times they have light skin and straight hair. It's not surprising that children and even adults think that straight hair and light skin are perfect and pretty.
    This is really sad and it will never change... But, that's how things work.

• Because long ago white people said so and has beaten everyone into submission or silence

• I do not think any specific race is free of racism. I have people say racist things to me all the time. I was talking to a Native American guy one time. He could not let go of the fact that my ancestors stole his land. It was like he was blaming me. I get called cracker. People tell me I need a tan, and say I am to white. They call me a Stupid Scotty because I am Scottish. I see all races being labeled. Labels are everywhere.

• exactly, i immigrated, and people "blame me for owning slaves"
      my ancestors were bulgarian, we were slaves for 500 years and our own people didn't sell us.

• No race is, the irish and hungarians were slaves, too but I dont tell them to get over it.

• Do you want the quick snippy answer or the sociological/historical one?

• Historical, I suppose.

I realize that whites have essentially invented or laid the bulk of the foundation for almost all modern technologies, starting from the 1400s or so.

But the question I have is twofold:

1) Why did only white countries make these enormous advances?

2) Why were people naturally attracted to lighter pigmentation even prior to any sort of white supremacy? For example, in humans across the world, even hunter gatherer groups, it's been demonstrated that women have lighter pigmentation than men. In a resource-dependent society where men held much more sexually selective power than they do now, and even before Europeans even existed, why did they tend to choose blue-eyed, or blonde, or lighter skinned women over their darker counterparts?

• Can we just not care about the color of anyone's skin? I haven't really noticed any bias on dating sites either.. I'm mixed Latina/white, but I'm ugly as hell. I just think that people who make race a big deal (glorifying, or looking down upon) are stuck in the uncivilized past.

• You're a girl, that's why. Guys aren't even closed to being biased and picky about a girl's race and skin color like girls are with guys.

• @MyUsernameRules

Like I said, the message rate to women on dating sites is stupidly high.

I think this might be one factor behind the high interracial messaging count (minus black women) despite 40% of white men saying they strongly prefer white women.

• This moron lol - I don't know why but it seems like you think women want you because you're... white? if it makes you feel better, 50% Asian girls in the US do, not a lot of the other girls (depends on an individual though tbh)

Fly away you blue-eyed bird.-.

• With all due respect, they do--I just want to know the reasons for why.

• It started with a little thing I like to call imperialism.

• the media. period.

• If the guy is not attractive I find it hard to accept. Not all are good looking

• Eurocentrism

• Um, what? I'm completely not into the white bread type.

• it has a lot to do with the media and I know what you mean about the dating sites but I'm black and I get plenty of messages from all races. people even tell me that they don't like black girls but they like me I guess I make the" exception" and I'm not even light skinned. Which is actually a very unsettling thing to say to somebody, but alas those are the ignorant ones and ignorance can be within any race.

• "people even tell me that they don't like black girls but they like me I guess I make the" exception" "

You realize this just further corroborates what I said, right?

• "much play" is a relative term.

If the average woman gets 80 messages a day, and some random woman consistently gets around 20 messages a day, the woman is still far below average, even though she has a good number of dates to choose from.

• I most definitely get more than 20.
      I mean I dont know what you want me to say. If I only got a meager 20 mgs a day I wouldn't even mention it. Um... okay dont know why we are still having this conversation. Good day.

• Does skin lightening creams work? I want...

• The work but not the way people think. People usually get this ugly light shade and have burns/cancerous scars from it.

• Are you serious? Please, don't do that...

• Take a history class. It is all in the history... I would focus on US history specidically for this q.

• It is because of history.
      Back then, the rich never worked outside in the sun, therefore they did not get tans and were very pale. They would also powder themselves with pale powder to look excessively white to show their rank.

Those who were not poor (other known as peasants) worked outside in the fields, etc . and you could tell they were poor because of their tans.

Why is it still this way? I don't freaking know.

But I can tell you that the world is changing, and if you want it to change quicker, and for the better, people have to STOP talking and focusing about race and start focusing on what really matters!

• Australian history is pretty horrific too

What Guys Said 17

• For the east Asia part it's not that they want to be white... it's that in the old days only lower class people or people living in poverty worked in the sun so they're darker. All the rich people or people in higher class didn't have to be in the burning sun so they associate light skin to a higher social class which is what a lot of East Asians wished to be. Over time that grew over to make people think lighter skin is beautiful there...
    when I go fishing more and get tanned girls seems to be interested in me more than when I lose my tan.

• I honestly looks like you've done more research on the subject than probably anyone else here. You'd probably have a better answer than the majority of us.

Unless you are just defiantly and angrily standing there with your arms folded, expecting some magical answer as to why us white devils are the top of the totem pole.

• who told you that?

white people ARE NOT superior. they are EQUAL! but... of keep goin' on like this i REALLY REALLY wish to be slaves to Black/Indian people... they deserve it,.

stupid white people, have made other rces be ashamed of their own skin, because white skin is consindered "ideal"... BULLSHIT!

and yes, i'm white myself as well but i feel really ASHAMED of my race judginf from what i read here!!

• another dumbass comment, you're on a roll today dumbass.

• I unfollowed you before you responded

• @tokana now i unfollowed you too, i wouldn't follow someone who hates me. i was just being nice by "following" you back. anyway i willblock you, i can't afford it anymore.

• The standard of beauty in other cultures are being stamped out though European sponsored propaganda and media bombardment that promote self-hate in all corners of the earth. It's a global mindfuck that many people won't acknowledge either because they generally don't know or because they don't wanna admit it. It's all about privilege man, people of color who are lighter know they have privilege and but they don't want to admit it. It's really sad bro, when you try to talk about white privilege and things like skin lighting creams perpetrating self-hate, you're met with cynicism and reverse racism from people who are basically telling you to shut-up and not expose the fuckery.

• The media, Internet, and Hollywood is controlled by whites so white beauty is shoved down everyone's throats throughout the world. But if you compare between guys and girls, guys hardly care about a girl's race and skin color as compared to girls. Girls are way more picky about a guy's race and skin color.

• I think this could be a status thing.

I was looking at a study done at Columbia where they did a speed dating experiment. The black guys were nearly as desired as the white guys. Asian guys were considered undesirable though. Possibly a lot of fobs.

Maybe women avoid blacks because of some subconscious association with thug and gangster culture?

• Yeah, the thug stereotype plus they think their reputation will be at stake if they go out with a black guy by their peers and all. Asians have it really shitty. Non Asian girls aren't into them and many Asian girls reject them for white guys but us Indian guys have it the worst.

• The thug/hoodrat thing depends on upbringing.

• It's cultural brainwashing, that originated way back in the age of European imperialism way back in the 15th century, when these European nations felt the world was theirs for the taking.

When the white settlers settled in a new land, they took over the land due to their superior technology (guns, cannons, etc.). Their influence made these non-whites feel as if they are "lesser" than white people.

----

This still lingers today, over 5 centuries later.

Why do u think people bleach their skin,

chemically damage their hair to remove their unique and natural curly/kinky texture,

wear colored contacts,

choose to not even CONSIDER dating people who are of their same ethnicity,

and inversely, the rarity to hear a non-white person say "I don't date white guys / girls"?

-----

Fashion & social trends... or mental slavery? You decide.

• But lighter color (at least for women) was considered attractive far before European contact.

• Just like many ignorant people you live off of your TV set which explains why you see white people as a superior race. The harsh reality is that most white women that I've seen preferred Latino, black even Asian males over there own race. By the time are great great great etc grand sons/daughters are born there will be no such thing as a pure race.

• Uh, no. The vast majority of women (at least in America) prefer white men.

And it seems that when looking at long term dating and marriage, the vast majority of men should prefer white women as well.

• Studies have shown that men seek blonde women for short term relationships and brunettes as a long term relationship you can look it up. Most white people are of Germanic descent (blonde hair blue eyes) or Celtic descent (red hair blue) (very few people have these characteristics) and a vast majority of of brunettes where either of Greek, Romanic or Egyptian.

• Historically speaking, whites have been very oppressive to other races and cultures (not everyone I know, get off my back) so many people have wanted to blend in so to speak.

White countries aren't more "desirable" they just happened to colonize and take resources from other countries. In fact, before much of the world was discovered, China and Africa had very well developed empires similar to those in Europe .

• All those surgeries, they won't actually fix anything.

It's probably because white is the majority, and that is covered most in media, maybe? I'm certain Asians get a good reputation for "being better at everything".

• It's due to history mainly, as white European oppressed and ruled most of the world by taking over land. Because they had more opportunities than many others, they where hard to get by anyone who wasn't white as well. Also, because they ruled over lands, and because the modern world is how the white man back then had felt was civalized, by using money to by things, and certain ways of living, they ended up having an upper hand and also made more money, and we're wealthier. Because of all these positives, and most of the richer countries having a large % of Caucasians, and all these Caucasians having better opportunities than other races, other many people of other races began to believe so, and started wishing to have what they have, but needed to be white in order to do so, leading to skin lighting stuff, and going after whites so they feel higher up in society.

• Do you want me to hold you in my arms and tell you it's OK?

• lolwut

• Take the stick out of your ass man.
      If you take stuff way too seriously all your life, you are going to stress yourself to death.

• If anything, this is the opposite of stressful for me lol

• legacy of slavery, colonialism...

• cos colonialism...

• Punjabi's are the fittest race. We may be a minority but the best looking.

• Just joking... generalising on skin tone/race/ethnicity/faith/gender/wealth/job occupation/age etc is discriminatory & shows the person highlighting has formulated a stereotype.

• Because white societies developed at a faster pace, then consequently took over the world with their "advanced society".
    It's not that black people where inferior, given the relative stability of their local, tropical, climate; they never really had any reason to develop more complicated social institutions beside spiritual beliefs of course.
    This bring said there are many examples where "superior" white cultures have borrowed from "inferior" races: tomatoes, potatoes, tea, coffee, rice, medicines, words, spiritual philosophies, technical knowledge, i really could go on...

• As an Aryan... I have no idea. You have some good points, but remember that most of what you see is paid for and people's perceptions change based on what they think they're supposed the think.. People are sheep.

• Upvoted because I sort of agree with you. "Aryan" isn't synonymous with white though, and people will look at you funny if you say that in public, lol

• Good thing its the internet, I don't refer to myself that way but people have referred to me as one in public before. I'm blue eyes blonde hair Scandinavian.