Is friendship necessary to have before the relationship?

If you really like someone does it matter if you become friends first or not before you started dating them?

Most Helpful Guy

• Before? I don't know for sure. Of course you can't get into a relationship with an unknown person, but you also don't have to be a friend (or some couples wouldn't spend time to get to know each other). One think is certain, when a person is your gf/bf, this person must also be your friend.

What Guys Said 3

• I believe that if its going to be a lasting relationship, friendship should come first. a friendship is created because you share common interest and enjoy each others company without the complication of romance and intimacy.
    a friendship lets you see who that person really is before committing to anything more deeply, many relationships don't work out because a person starts discovering things of the other person they don't like.

• I don't think it is necessary, but I like the idea of becoming friends first.

• I don't know but it doesn't sound necessary.

What Girls Said 2

• I think it is necessary before a relationship. I mean you can't date a person and not know anything about them or there favorite hobbies, etc or there likes/dislikes, and what they want to do in the future. You have to get to know a person first before you decide that you want your friendship to be something more. I learned in my last relationship that its really important to get to know a person first and be friends with them first. You create a friendship so you two can sure whatever common interest you have. That way you don't have to start from scratch when you go into a relationship. It let's you see what the person is truly like before you decide that you fully want to commit to them. I've realized that relationships without friendships don't last very long. You get to see what there personality is really like in a friendship. Get to know the person really well first before you decide that you want to build something even more.

• Not friendship but at least you should know the other person well, before any sort of relationship