Whatever Happened to Romanticism?

What happened? i mean seriously do girls even appreciate romanticism anymore?

i don't think this question is very popular cause people have accepted, like chivalry, romanticism is dead...
I meant whatever to being romantic

i now understand romanticism as an artistic, literary, and intellectual movement that originated in Europe toward the end of the 18th century

Most Helpful Girl

• I always appreciate that stuff. My husband is not a terribly romantic guy but he tries so hard and I love it. I think it seems like women don't like romanticism any more because many guys don't bother with it these days. So we've just learned to accept that as a fact.

• its not though!!!
      in fact your husband is awesome for trying to be romantic!
      but women are lame for giving up on it

i feel like an idiot when i try to be romantic...

• haha no problemo! hope you had a romantic Valentine's day!

• Yeah it was a good night :)

What Girls Said 5

• I'm a hopeless romantic. I'm like a female Ted Mosby haha.
    I appreciate romanticism as long as it's a man I'm in a relationship with. Not some random stranger. If the man I'm with showed romantic gestures, that'd be a dream come true.
    I'm a fairly progressive person, but I prefer old fashion love and romanticism.

Have you heard the song "Amarte a la Antigua?" That's basically what I want. For me to him, and him to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pifvIJ9372o

• me encanta este cancion
      glad to hear i am not the only one out there =)

• Haha you're whalecum Latin Lover :)

• *melts in desk*

• I suppose you mean Romance or being romantic? Romanticism was an intellectual movement in the 1800s

But ya of course we like it when guys are romantic. It's just not something you can really expect these days. Most guys these days are very rude talking and frankly don't know what they're supposed to do

• i know i know! lol i messed up haha!!!
      But i see girls go for these guys... so i just think what the hell?
      i almost feel like giving up...

• I'm all for cheesy romantic stuff :) It's just really hard to find these days.

• well thats awesome! its hard to find a girl who doesn't think its overwhelming
      i love being romantic!!! i might start writing poetry again...

• I try :) Haha I'd be willing to share some if you are :)

• I would love to share =)
      i will PM you =)

• Of course we do. Guys almost never do it nowadays

• I always do it and feel like a complete idiot!!!
      i almost feel hopeless lol sometimes i think the girls aren't worth it either, which makes me sad

• it was replaced with expressionism :P

What Guys Said 7

• Romantic gestures work best once you are already in a relationship with a girl. Which frankly, makes a lot of sense.

If you get all romantic with a girl on date one--well, you look foolish. She knows you don't know her at all, can't possibly be in love with her. It makes you look low status and desperate, kind of like a beggar. It might work with a really inexperienced girl who has a naive view of the world, but a girl with more experience dating understands that you don't get women if you behave that way.

If you've been dating a girl for a while, you've come to know each other well, and a reasonable amount of time has passed so that having feelings for her is natural and expected, AND she has feelings for you, the occasional romantic gesture will be well received--because she knows it's authentic and meaningful, and it validates the feelings she has for you as well.

Anyway, that's been my observation.

That and most guys just suck at being romantic, lol

• i dont think anyone could have said it better...
      i usually wait a couple of dates like 3 or 4...
      i think that might be too soon

• Social rules that are no longer imposed by society have made a situation where nothing is expected of people. Men aren't expected to be gentlemenly and women aren't expected to be lady like. It's not dead but rare! Political agendas made by left wingers have made this situation. BUT if you go by the old laws of chivalry then it would be legal if you killed a guy because his girlfriend was hot, if you claimed she was in danger you were perfectly legal to kill the guy and basically have your way with the girl. Modern chivalry is what you want the holding doors, the ladies first type rules. But they aren't dead just rare

• damn bro... thanks for explaining things though, it makes sense
      its sad how little people expect from one another... especially romantically

• So do I! Once my daughters start dating ill teach them to expect men to act chivalrous

• definitely bro... definitely
      lets hope we also teach our sons how to be men

• if by "romanticism" you mean "chocolate and flowers"... then sorry man but that's too corny and old-fashioned :-P

• haha you are right, it is a bit old fashioned, and corny, but i enjoy it lol
      i think the ladies do to, but the older ones... like 30-50 years old...

• >Romanticism

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

If you're asking what happened to chivalry, there's simply no reason to practice it anymore. If we are to treat women equally, that also means that we should not give women preferential treatment.

• ok lol i realized this... and i knew people were gonna shit on me
      "Whatever happened to being romantic?"
      is that better?

• Girls only value romanticism if they are interested in you.

• that is a very strong point my friend...
      but i have found that some take it as a sign of weakness, or me being a psycho lol
      they dont want to commit to being romantically involved or something

• I didn't but I am also a carpenter so I got a few ideas;)

• Awesome! haha thats great! good luck this Valentine's day

• Romanticism is a literary time period of American literature... Lol

"Whatever happened to being romantic?"
      is that better?

• Like chivalry, romanticism (and any appreciation and respect for one another between the genders) was killed by feminism.

• ... and you'd be wrong if you made that assumption considering I've been male for the last 23 years, AND i have a picture up where I'm holding up my GAG name too

That, and I even get females disagreeing with me on the notion of how the social aspects of gender. And the most die-hard liberals who claim that even sex is a social construct, and the only thing that should matter is self-expression, not what you biologically are. That stuff is just stupid, even for me.

• Mmmm hmmm...