Are people with mental disorders allowed to date/have sex?

my sis has depression and want to know if it's allowed...

Most Helpful Girl

• This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, of course a he is allowed. Who is going to stop her? They have a mental disorder it doesn't mean they can't live and do things like other people.

• who defines ridiculousness? you? and why? haha..

• Nobody I find it ridiculous personally, nobody can define it. But as person who nows various people with mental disorders I know that this would considered offensive to them, they are still people who deserve to love normal lives, so why wouldn't they be allowed to date.

What Girls Said 6

• Allowed by who? It's completely up to them. Whether it is a good idea for them at that time in their life is a different matter, but assuming they are a consenting adult it isn't anyone's right to tell them they aren't allowed.

• Yeah of course... I don't understand why that wouldn't be allowed.

• So what? Why would it NOT be allowed?

• i don't know... you tell me? lolol.

• Why wouldn't they be?

• Seriously?

... Of course..

• ok, so i was naive haha...

ok..

• No they can't. Dude what do you expect me to say? Of course they can. Everyone deserves love.

• I'm going to level with you I saw this question and just started dying lol that was priceless...

• Its against psychiatric codes..

What Guys Said 4

• In the circumstance you describe there is nothing that says they cannot. If they had an illness so great that they were ward of the court, or under someone's guardianship, then the are not legally and adult and that organization or person will step in and restrict behavior that can be detrimental to the person.

• Bizarre question. Since when did adults require permission to date/have consensual sex?

• because the psychiatric profession says it's wrong...

• "them"...

Could you link a study? An article written by prominent psychiatrists backing up your claim? Psychiatrists are as diverse as any group, and the beliefs of one person in that field do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of others.

• Lulz... do you own this forum?

• dude there is not any governing body who decide what is allowed and what is not... if they have sense of the process and can get a partner than its totally up to them...

• Ummm... yes? One of common behaviour of people with BPD is promiscuity and 'risky sexual behaviour'.