Teen Relationship: age gap?

My sister is 14 and her boyfriend is 17 and will be 18 in 5 months. They are both at the same maturity level. They do NOT kiss or hold hands around our family at all, especially not around my parents. Our parents and His parents approve of the relationship. When the two of them go out someone is always with them but they hang around the house in a separate room by themselves and are trusted that they won't do anything wrong (they don't do anything wrong though ) ... But he will soon be turning 18, Should they stay together or should they end it now while it might be easier?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not an age gap except when the two are teens. He is preparing to go to college where he will change as a person while she will remain the same for awhile. It might not work out just because of that. They shouldn't break up because of this but just be careful of what the future consequences could be.

What Guys Said 1

• 3-4 years is not a big gap in the big scheme of the things. The hard part will be him going to college or going away for work. However, if they have a strong connection, why break up?

What Girls Said 4

• Uhhhh 18 and 14 isn't a big gap but in level of where they both are in life right now yeah that's pretty steep. He's probably about to graduate high school go to college etc and she will still be in high school so he will be experiencing different things etc. For a 14 yr old that could prove to be a lot to handle right now. If they really want to be together maybe they should wait until she's a bit older and she can handle more situations that they may have to go through together.

• If anything becomes sexual between them, any sexual behaviour at all, he can be charged and if they have sex, it will be rape if she is underage, despite whether she consents or not. Just something to understand.

• I'm 14 going on 15 and I have dated someone about three years older than me. And honestly I would tell her that if she really like him she should wait until she older my sister is engaged to someone seven years older than her they started dating when she was 16 and my parents were okay with that

• This was the age gap with my current fiancee. I was 14 a freshman and he was 17 a senior we managed to make it work granted we were having sex and being smart about it. I don't think there's any reason for them to break up , unless they want too.