How should a Caucasian girl approach an Asian guy?

Hey guys! I'm a freshman in college, and there's this really cute Japanese guy (from Japan, he's not American) in one of my classes. I've heard that when it comes to Asian guys, the girl should make the first move because they're often too shy. As of now, he sits in the row in front of me (in a small class of about 24) and I've only talked to him to ask for his name and for a class-related question. How can I build up the courage to approach him more and get to know him? It would be suspicious if I all of a sudden sat next to him, so I don't think I can do that. Should I ask him questions about Japan, ask him if he wants to join a study group with me and my friends, etc? I'm painfully shy when it comes to talking to cute guys, but I keep trying to tell myself that I'll never know what could happen unless I try. I'm sure it would be much easier if he were Asian American, but he's not, and I don't want to do something culturally inappropriate. I said hi to him on the way out from class, and he said hi back in a sort of quick, abrupt tone :/ I don't know what else I can do, as I don't want to seem desperate and pushy. Haha, help me! I've only had one boyfriend, so I'm not very experienced with guys.

I'm Caucasian with chestnut brown hair, brown eyes, and olive skin, if that makes a difference. Do Japanese guys typically like Caucasian girls?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm Asian. It's kinda weird but I like a girl who can use chopsticks and knows what REAL Asian food is like. The chopstick thing isn't sexual, I'm just impressed by girls who can because most can't.

What Guys Said 12

• Of course they do, unless he's gay. The Japanese culture is all about honor and respect. Start by being blunt honest to him, that you are interested, and see where that goes.

My gf is russian, been with her for 11 years and weve got a 10 year old daughter. I actually hated my gf when i first met her, but when we started to be friends, we fell inlove:)

• I would assume the same as with any other color or nationality? Maybe hand over a plate of sushi when you introduce yourself? I'm white, but that would totally work on me.

• I don't know if he's attracted to you. but if you approach him and be nice, i think he will appreciate it regardless of her race, as long as he's decent.

no worries, he would not look down upon you, at least you can be his friend.

• I'm not japanese and generally hate the japanese because I'm Chinese and we don't like them but I'll speak for east Asians in general usually they like white girls and American girls. In general east Asian cultures emphasize politeness and communicating things indirectly. What I mean by this is communicating something without straight up saying it. For example, instead of saying "i like you i think you're cute" just give a small wave at him and cute smile then giggle to one of your friends. I think that's just what Asians are more used to but I can't claim to be an expert on this.
    Good luck!

• I don't see why not.. I don't bite... that hard...

• Easy. Just rape him... [=

• Yeah, nope! With a username like that, I can't take what you say seriously :)

• @Thumbs_Downer/s, You obviously no nothing of a man's inner perverted fantasies... {=

• I wouldn't recommend a stealthy approach from the flank, that might scare him.

• Like she would approach any other guy

• He will be very polite but dont expect much beyond friendship. And if you date, dont expect marriage. They are a very closed culture. You really dont understand. Most people here offering advice have never even been there much less dealt with them to any extent.

• i'm Chinese and I hate the japanese! they have no concern for other human beings.

• @hypno-trip yes, I understand. My father told me what happened in Nanjing many years ago.

• Very carefully because they all know karate.

• Like this

'Girl walks up to Asian guy'

Done

• Ask him if you can play with his chopstick

What Girls Said 4

• Asian guys generally loveeee white girls. (Like most other guys, really.)

Just go talk to him. Sit beside him and strike up a convo before class starts. "Hey, you know that project due next week?" And then segue into stuff about Japan or whatever. Then introduce yourself and get your foot in the door. Don't worry about looking pushy, it's not like you'll be bluntly asking to bang him ahaha. Just a friendly conversation between classmates. Totes normal.

• Dress up cute and ask him things about his home country, like you're so interested in it. It'll make a perfect ongoing conversation and you add some new topics in like how long u been here for etc. Do not start too quick with your attachment on love. First get to know each other and go out on a date. Matter of fact go to the library or something and talk about the subject you too like and stuff you both hate etc.

• The same way you approach a white guy?

• But how? Haha I'm super shy with guys!

• Try to find out what he's interested in and go on from there.

• Some Japanese guys actually dream about being with a white girl someday (they put white pussy on a pedestal). Just show you're interested, majority are really shy and probably won't approach you first. You have to be really obvious you're interested!

Pursued two Japanese men in my lifetime and I'm a non-Asian. (They thought I was white.)