Is it racist if?

One of my friends just started going out with a black guy and they seem to get along fine and we where talking about..How they meet etc...And within the conversation she reviled to me that she only started dating him...Because he was black,that was her only reason for saying yes when he asked her out. Other then that No attraction, Nothing in common (well besides the fact they go to same school) Nada...Don't get me wrong I'm all for interracial relationships (I've been in a couple myself) but just dating someone because their Black, Latino, Asian...ect. Instead of basing it on attraction, compatibility, and things in common that just seems a little racist to me.

What do you think? Be honest

Sorry I forgot the Question that supports the story...Do you think it's Racist to Date someone just because their Black, Latino, Asian...Etc?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is racial in a sense but its not negative stereotyping.. but I hear some people say that racial stereotyping either it be negative or positive is looked down upon.. but you know what.. you gotta take the good with the bad. If she is dating him just because he is black, then she got what she is looking for.. at least for the time being.. maybe it will end up with them having a truly meaningful relationship but it will have been based on the wrong things.

For me, I don't look at race when I meet a girl, because if I just think "oh I'm not gonna date her because she is this or I am gonna date her because she is that".. that's kind of close-minded.. so, I try to base relationships on common things like normal people.. lol like common topics and interests.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't know if it's racist or not, dating black guys because you're curious or believe in the stereotypes may not be right, but racist means you dislike them, which if you're dating or hooking up with them... you're obviously liking them.

• She's probably just curious, its no big deal.

• It's not racist. No offense to you personally but people throw that word around so much that it's almost meaningless. A racist person would never date someone out side of their race so it can't be racist. It's just misguided and stupid, but not racist.

• That is an ignorant saying, "A racist person would never date someone outside of their race." A hispanic dates a black person but is openly racist against asians. Proves your statement to be wrong. Also how do we not say that it isn't racist against every other race than black. Isn't it racist to the whites asians, latinos, and etc for her not dating them for no apparent reason just because of their race. What does she have against them that she doesn't have against the black man.

• Okay whatever. I obviously meant if you were racist against a particular racial group, you wouldn't date someone of THAT racial group.

its not racist to have preferences. there are races that I choose not to date either but that doesn't make me racist. its called preferences.

What Guys Said 3

• Not necessarily, it can be curiosity.

• I think it IS racist but people date others for numerous reasons and race is just one of them. I've dated some girls just because they were Asian or blond and it has been a huge mistake because our personalities conflicted, then again I dated girls with the same appearance (asian or blond) that I had a lot in common with and were great experiences.

All in all though it may be racist, its their call and they shouldn't be given too much sh*t for it.

• I refuse to say the word "racist" unless it's more serious than this.

I don't think it's right to date someone because of their race, but I guess if they get along fine now then the person is redeemed.