Was I too harsh when I told him it wasn't a date?

This guy asked me to lunch this weekend, and I said yes bc I thought it was a friendly thing. However it dawned on me it was a date when he suggested all these fancy restaurants & asked when he could pick me up. I'm NOT attracted to him at all (plus I heard he has a thing for Asian girls which creeps me out a bit). I texted him that I just wanted to clarify that this was friendly hangout b/c I wasn't looking to date anyone as I was super busy with school and stuff. He texted back, "Yes it was a date and in that case we shouldn't meet at all." I was a little hurt b/c I thought we were friends at least (we've hung out a couple times in groups & talk on FB chat once in awhile). Was I too harsh in telling him it wasn't a date?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, its better than what happened to me. Went on the date first, found out i really liked her, then was told that she didn't want a boyfriend. You did whats best, im sure he would rather know before he actually goes on what he thinks is a date with you.

What Guys Said 2

• Harsh? No u weren't. I find the idea of YOU being a bit hurt because he rescinded his offer, to be a bit silly.

• No, that was the right thing to do, and his response is fine as well.

What Girls Said 2

• Not at all. If u hid that now he would have that misconception forever

• Nope. This way you didn't lead him on.