Anyone have BiPolar and in a relationship?

I have it and always take my medication. I never tell people I have it because of the stereotype judgments. Recently told my boyfriend today that I have it and he took it incredibly well. I do worry that one day he will say he's had enough and break up with me because I have BiPo versus if we just broke up for non BiPo reasons. Is it up to me to maintain this or his understanding... Or both?
Please no rude comments.

Most Helpful Guy

• That is a tough situation. However, you probably want a guy that will want to stay by your side through it and help you out when you need it. If he expresses the desire to do that then you are gucci.

What Guys Said 2

• It is up to you to not forget to take your medication and to explain what can happen when you feel down or up. Even with meds there are highs and lows. It's up to him to be understanding of this and to ask questions if he's confused about reactions.

• I always take my medication. Highs and lows happen but they are part of it.

• Yes I dated a women for many years with this type of problem

It's really up to both of you. If you want you can message me and ask me anything

What Girls Said 2

• I have been recently diagnosed (past 8months) with bipolar. I was in a relationship at the time but it was suspected and mentioned from the begining. He didn't have that much understanding so I ended it, and until I have more understanding with living with bipolar I am definitely not in a rush to get in a relationship because of the stigma. It is something I worry about too, so I completely understand how you feel.

• Yes, I'm bipolar and I am in a relationship with a wonderful guy who totally understands my problems. I told him the first time I met him that I'm bipolar. He decided to date me anyway. I am on and off with my meds (I know, it's bad), but he deals with it even when I'm off them.
    I would say both. If he really cares about you then he will be understanding and patient with you, but of course you should always take your meds and such.