MEN: would you settle down with a woman who makes more money than you?

if not, why?

I'm curious to see how men would answer this same type of question:
www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1338903-girls-could-you-settle-down-with-a-guy-who-makes-less-money-than-you

• yes.
  • no.
  • I'm a woman.

Most Helpful Guy

• That in and of itself makes no difference to me. What does matter to me is how she treats me, and unfortunately I've seen a lot of cases where a wife who earns more than her husband treats him disrespectfully and makes him feel small.

• a few guys have said this. I don't get why she would though.

• The psychology of it goes deeper than most people think about.

• Thanks for MH.

What Guys Said 33

• Sure, as long as it never became an issue used against me.

• I wouldn't ever let it become an issue in a relationship with anyone. I find it lame when people "fall out of love" over money issues. hopefully, my future guy won't care about money.

• Yes, people can make money a great divider between them.

• Money is not something that I look for. If she makes more or less than I do, it's irrelevant. We both should have an understanding of what we want materialistically in life, and strive to attain them through our own merits.

For example, If I want to upgrade from my Ford Fusion SE to a Lexus IS F Sport I'd save up or figure out how to increase my income to afford it. I wouldn't ask my possibly "rich" wife to buy me one. That makes no sense at all. If you want something, get it.

• I feel the same, I prefer to earn my own things and equally put money toward mutual stuff, like kids, food, house, etc

• You have a very reasonable view on this. Good to know.

• Of course. I'd actually be proud of her. I believe the whole "who wears the pants" is totally stupid when there's real love.

• i'd never settle down :-P

but hypothetically speaking, i don't care about incomes

• You'd be surprised, but a lot of men (inc. myself) are okay with the fact that girl earns more money as long as she's NOT rubbing it into guy's face.

• yea, I was surprised. especially since there's so many (seemingly) traditionalist guys on this site.

• Being traditional is one thing. My point is that if a girl makes more money, it has 2 effects:
      1.) A guy (if he actually loves her) is proud of his girlfriend. I know I would.
      2.) It will still push the guy to improve himself, because as long as a guy has balls, he will secretly want to earn more :P

As for girl, she has to keep in mind that should she rub the fact that she earns more to a guy's face, their relations can end very soon. If a guy just knows she earns more that's kinda like a slight reminder he has to step up his game, but rubbing it is a huge blow to male ego.

Keep in mind that in our eyes "rubbing" is even accidentally/slightly reminding that a girl earns more. Should a guy hear it once, your relations are unlikely to be the same.

If a girl notices that a guy's trying too hard to earn more than she does (and fails for whatever reason: that may lead to severe depression), it could be the case of "white lies": just lie about your real income :P

• I lied to an ex about the fact that I made more actually, but because he seemed to care, not me.

• As long as she doesn't hold it against me and somehow insinuate that I'm less of a man for it then it wouldn't bother me.

• I think men worry more about being seen as less of a man than women actually think they are

• i don''t see the problem with this. yes men need (want) to be above their significant other in monetary means. but that does not mean we have to be. i would find that in a way attractive. if the woman want to become as high as they can i find that to be a good trait. to set high goals. me i'm studding to become a surgeon so if a woman wants to have a better paying job then that. i'm all for it.

• do you prefer a girl equally ambitious as you? or it doesn't matter as long as you click?

• i think that depends. if we don't click then it obviously doesn't matter if "she" is ambitious as me or not. but yes i do find someone that is ambitious as me or more. more attractive then someone that is non-ambitious.

• yes, why the hell not?

• haha, I was just curious because of the other question.

a few guys have claimed they wouldn't because the woman would look down of them/make them feel like less of a man.

• Not a problem with me

• Yes, of course. I'd be happy for her!

• sure why not :) i donĀ“t build my confidence on my income.

• i would be willing to but, i would be cautious, i have a friend in this predicament and his gf belittles him very often

I am actually really attracted to a lady who makes way more than me! I don't know she would probably never go for me because i really wouldn't be able to provide for her, what she can already provide for herself

• just go for it anyway, maybe she wouldn't care either.

• you are right lol, too be honest i am more worried about her age and what she is looking for/expecting in a relationship!
      she is 35 years old, and i think she is looking for a husband
      your question made me ask my own about this lady

• Of course yes

• sure, i wouldn't mind

• Yes... Not a problem for me.

• As long as I liked the girl, it doesn't matter how much money she makes.

• Of course. We make enough, that's all that matters

• yup, financial issues are supposedly the biggest reason people get divorced. kinda sad

• Very sad, but I guess that's just the world we live in right now. Money means too much

• Absolutely, as long as we can make ends meet it doesn't matter to me who makes how much.

• Fuck it I'll be a trophy husband

• I don't have a problem with that

• Statistically, that raises risk of divorce, when the wife outearns the man.

Ironically, that would also mean less likely the husband would be screwed over in divorce court.

• I'd be damned sure I could pull my weight in the relationship. She deserves better than a freeloader.

• making less makes a man a free loader?

• I consider a freeloader someone who doesn't contribute anything and lives off others earnings, not someone who makes less money.

• Makes sense. I would consider a freeloader someone who spends more than they contribute to the relationship. Say, someone who earns ~$30,000 a year but spends $50,000, and not on household expenses.

• Don't care since I would never take money from my wife, even if I was broke

• why not?

and would you give your wife money?

• as a traditional guy yes I most definitely give my wife money. I would spend on her before me. But taking money no, but would accept gifts.

• Sure, I won't have problems with that.

• the real question is will SHE settle down for a man when she makes more money

• Yes. I have no problem with that.

• yes i would even though divorce rate is higher in those dynamics...

• I've actually somewhat changed my view on this. I prefer my women submissive and I'd think that money would corrupt and prevent them from being that way but it isn't necessarily true. Lady Gaga is loaded but she prefers to more submissive with her man as I understand.

• submissive, in what ways?

• Just in a general sense I guess. She is constantly in charge with her career and would rather not come home and nag/tell her boyfriend what to do all the time. Plus I'd think she probably likes it too.

• This is a first!! I personally don't care if she makes more than I do.

I've heard nasty stuff from women regarding my income isn't great and that's why I'm single. Or another is and get this "it's more masculine if the man makes more money". Lol. Some of these insane women are stuck in the 60's I swear.

• I agree. a lot of men feel the same way. it's weird.

• Oh guess what? I just my income tax refund back. And it's a good one. So that means I'm masculine now dosent it? Lol

• Happening right now

• how do you geel about it?
      just curious.

• it feels weird to me to take money from someone too, but I'm not in a loving, commited relationship. I feel like at the point it shouldn't anymore, because you support each other in all ways, not just monetary. no?

• True. I'm working on it :)

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 1

• I know I'm not a man but;
    I live with a guy who earns a considerable amount less than me.

The reason I earn more than my man is because he worked damn hard to support me so I could go back to college, get a better education and get a better paid job. His amazing hard work and sacrifice helped give us a better life. He is worth a million times what his wage packet it. I would never judge a man by how much he gets paid an hour, that tells you nothing about his character.