Who is more likely to date down?

As in male or female, which is more likely to date someone less attractive then themselves, and why?

Well just to add an update, I met my girlfriend online a few months ago and we have been together for almost 2 months, distance is only 15 miles so haha not very far. But yeah everything's going great with it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think its really a gender thing, more of a confidence and self esteem type thing. If they don't believe to be attractive, then they won't walk up to someone that in their eyes is attractive either. Does that make sense?

What Girls Said 1

• i think girls are more likely to "date down". Or at least that's what I've seen. Females are more likely to consider more just looks and would date a guy who is "average" but with an amazing pesonality. Most guys...not so much.

What Guys Said 2

• Generally neither sex is willing to date down considerably in looks, which may become a problem when a person has an inflated impression of their own appearance. Women are more lenient about dating down in looks while more strict in not dating down financially (yes yes there are some exceptions but that's exactly what they are -- exceptions) while men pay almost no regard to a woman's financial situation (unless she's severely in debt).

Hope that helps.

• I'm actually going to say guys on this one. Since it's generally the guy's job to ask a girl out, it's common to "settle" for someone less attractive than he is. Just my opinion though.