Is starting a relationship long distance worth it?

I was texting my friend that I am romantically interested in and mentioned that I was sad she wasn't able to come home over the long weekend, (she lives a 4-5 hour drive away) and she suggested that if I wanted to see her we could use Skype. This may or may not be a signal that she is interested in me, (I suspect I am reading too much into it) but it made me think that it might be viable to date her long distance until she comes home for the summer. But I've never had a romantic relationship before, much less a long distance one so I question the viability of this idea.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it is not worth it. I've tried and it doesn't work. It gets to be more painful than fun because you constantly wish you could be with the person but you can't. I suggest finding someone who lives by you. There's a lot of fish in the sea.

What Girls Said 1

• It's like dating a ghost to be honest with you. But if you think she's worth it, then go ahead!

What Guys Said 1

• I speak from experience when I say that long distance relationships are extremely difficult to maintain. It often makes both parties feel even more lonely since they have someone but barely get to see them. It also prevents both parties from meeting someone who might be great for them, and they aren't long distance. It's honestly nothing but trouble in my point of view. Either way, good luck with it!