How to reject my best friend without hurting his feelings?

So I have this really good guy friend whom I have been friends with for many years. He recently told me that he was in love with me. But we have been such good friends for so long and I honestly don't see him as anything other than my friend. I still want to save our friendship, but I don't want it to be awkward between us. How can I tell him I don't see him that way without hurting his feelings?

Most Helpful Guy

• You pretty much can't.
    For as long as you feel the way you do and he feels the way he does, things will be weird. Perhaps not noticably weird for you but he will carry those emotions and secretly hope you will change. He will have a tendecy to interpret everything you say and do as a way that you also like him the same way he likes you, because that is what he wants to see. He will be crushed if you talk about other guys or shows interest in them. It will not be a good situation.

Maybe in time his emotions will change and your friendship can go back to normal.

What Guys Said 2

• Tell him you love him too,, thrn chsnge the subject quickly and don't ever respond to him on that level again. He will think you didn't get it, so he'll tell himself it's not meant to be.

• I hate to be the bearer of band news but your rejection will crush him and it may even break your friendship if he cannot accept the rejection and harbors ill feelings from the rejection.

What Girls Said 0