Why do people casually date rather than court like people used to?

It just cheapens the whole process really. I think it's sad and probably a big part of the reason why there is such a problem with divorce and such nowadays.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because it's fun. I'm in a relationship right now, but I like to play the field a lot. I'm not all that great with relationships. :/ It's actually been a bit of a struggle for me right now cause I'm always freaking out about things with my bf, but I get through it. I can understand, though, why people don't really care much for courting. Casual dating is fun because there is no commitment.

What Girls Said 4

• The whole purpose of dating is to eventually find someone to settle down with for the long haul (usually though some like to date just to date). Casual dating is a way to weed out candidates who do not fit your long term goals. I think it is more rampant now because of the introduction of dating sites and so forth; used to be you dated someone in your own town and became exclusive from the start more out of necessity. These days it is easier to serial date and date more than one person at once.

I know I date multiple people (but sleep with no one) and just tell them honestly that is what I am doing until I find someone who makes me lose interest in dating any one else. It is only a bad thing if you are not honest with the people you are seeing.

I think the term dating is misunderstood these days. Dating in and of itself is a way to choose the best possible person for you, then you move into exclusive territory. If you didn't broaden your horizons I think the odds of divorce are much greater; ie, you met someone and immediately committed to them before you were fully invested, end up marrying them and then realize they were not the one for you. Divorce itself is a different problem wherein people do not take vows as seriously as they once did, IMHO.

• There's been a societal shift. Many factors played into it. A change in times, a change in values, the drug movements in the 60s, female sexual liberation, the move toward instant gratification as opposed to delayed gratification... Take your pick.

• Some people simply prefer less complicated relationships, and aren't necessarily looking for a lifetime partner.

• I'd like to know the answer to this myself. I don't have an answer, but I'll love to see what people have to say lol.

What Guys Said 0