Dating someone with an mental illness?

Hey so im interested in a girl and I think she's interested in me too, we have been talking only but she told me she has a mental illness and she said it was "psychosis" and im not sure if I should be worried or if its fine.. Also what is it like to date someone with a mental illness? Are there things I should be worried about or look out for or should I just not date her?

Most Helpful Girl

• People with mental illness still have a lot of love to give and deserve happiness like anyone else. You liked her before she told you about it, so what changed? She has a label now? It shouldn't matter. If I were you, I'd read up on her condition, ask her about it and try to understand.

I myself have a slew of mental illnesses-- depression, PTSD and Bipolar all included. My boyfriend accepts me the way I am, goes with me to every appointment and helps me through my breakdowns. Mine aren't too extreme, but what I need each time varies. Some days I'll need space, others I'll need him by my side constantly. It depends. You have to be able to read her.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• Um. There is too much to get into with psychosis. Trust me Google it and do some reading of doctors writings.

• I have had mental illnesses as well (depressing and schizophrenia) and none of my exes faced problems due to this (we broke up for entirely different reasons). So you can go ahead and date her. Shouldn't be a problem in itself.