Would you date someone with depression, anxiety, or a different mental disorder? Why or why not?

I am sixteen and dating a guy who does not know that I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, OCD, and visual and auditory hallucinations. Would anyone date someone with a mental illness even if they have a wonderful personality? Why or why not? What is your opinion on people with mental illnesses?

• Yes
  • No
  • It depends
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• I would help him. I have lots of stress and I have been depressed for a long time now, so I would know at least sort of how he feels. We could help each other. I would most definitely date someone like that because they're still a person who deserves to have relationships and happiness.

• Thanks!

• No problem! And I completely agree with your opinion. People can benefit off each other and it can even improve the level of emotional understanding in a relationship! ^w^

• Exactly

What Guys Said 15

• As long as that person wasn't prone to have violent outburst I don't see any problem with it. It doesn't sound fair that your neglecting telling your BF about what your going through. I can see this being a bigger problem if he finds it out from someone other that you.

• I understand and agree with you. However, I decided to wait to let him see how I am (personality-wise). I've had guys run away simply because I mentioned it! x3 I do plan to tell him. But since we've recently started dating, I want to get him used to that first. Is that justified? I would really appreciate your opinion on this since you're a guy if you don't mind. XD

• Thank you so much! (・ω・) ノ maybe next time I see him (he is on vacation with his family), then I'll bring it up. Who knows? Maybe he has something to tell me as well (he was bullied all his life and sees a therapist).

• Just be you in what ever manner you choose to tell him and keep positive that it will be ok. And you do have a good point he may be in the boat along side you and you just don't know it yet. I don't know that I have given you any insight that you haven't already seen yet. Hope so tho

• I would not because I would not have the patience or the stomach to endure the hardships bought on by depression for the girl I am in a relationship with. I doubt there are much worse things then watching the woman that I love deteriorate mentally or physically and you have no power to help make them better.

• My mom has depression and it's not as bad as you think. They just take so much medication and it's so sad to see it.

• My Aunt smokes and her smoking has no doubt contributed to her decline in health.

• Yes it appears that the smoking has a more impact on her than the medications. It's really sad and I'm sorry that happens to her.

• I did when I was a teen. It was a really helpful experience for both of us, but I am at a point in my life where I want someone put together, that is not to say anything bad about dating someone going through something, but its just not for me right now

• I have depression and anxiety as well. Not as much anymore though. But in my opinion thats all the more reason for me to date them. Its great to feel like they need me. And I'd be more than happy to give her love, affection, and support.

• It really depends on the person. I would be hesitant in wanting a serious relationship with a person like this due to the possibility of kids with the same genetic predisposition.
    My current girlfriend got brain damage from a car accident when she was younger. She has some depression issues and ocd.
    But no mental condition in reason enough to just be unbearably crazy and expect people to deal with it.
    Don't think I could blame one for going either way

• I have already she had Depression. It was real hard dealing with it all she was so wishy washy about me and I fight so hard to try and keep her in the game with me. I did and it got better but down the road she resorted back to her old ways

• I belive those conditions can be healed and people also need support... and ve been there too.

• no... depression sounds scary to me :-/

• No I would not I like to keep all the negative forces out of my life and so far it has worked I have never gotten in trouble since then and its been 6+ years and going.

• Yeah, seeing as how I myself have depression I probably wouldn't. I figure I'd just be dragging the both us down further.

• If I like person who is like that, i will understand it and be supportive. So there is a lot of reasons to go out and find someone, no matter the way you are. You can be loved no matter what, believe me, been through that.

• For me personally I've dated 2 girls that have depression and usually when you date them, the depression fades away just a tiny bit, I personally don't mind it but some girls use it against you when you break up (in my case)

• Simple & straight answer no.

• Well first of all, most mental disorders are not mental disorders anyways. Unless she was irrational (like paranoid) or delusional (like schizo) I would date her provided we "clicked"

• no thats just extra baggage and another dependent totally worthless person

• I wouldn't call them worthless though.

• good luck though sadly my prediction is likely accurate

• Thank you! x3 and is that a challenge I hear? If so, I shall take it! >:3

What Girls Said 7

• Yes, I would. I'm bipolar and I also self-harm and I deal with a lot of other mental disorders and my boyfriend is really supportive of me. He even knew about all my problems BEFORE we started dating. I've even told him multiple times that he could break up with me whenever because I didn't want to be a burden on him. He'd get really annoyed with me for saying stuff like that. If the guy likes you enough, he won't care about all that stuff. :)

• I am currently dating someone who has mental illness. He is my best friend and lover and I can never see myself with someone else.

• Same here! ( ^ω^ ) I wish you prosperity and fortune in your relationship!! :D

• Thank you and I tell him if he's sad or about to do something to just talk to me about it.

• I have some similar conditions, so :) I def would!

• I don't date people who don't have mental illnesses as a rule because I don't trust people who don't have mental illnesses to imagine what I go through, and they will likely be abusive toward me because of it, in my experience. Then again I probably won't date anyone again, at least for a couple of years now

• like the fact is 99.9999999% of people in the can /not/ be trusted and are evil in my opinion

• My SO has Asperger's Syndrome, Selective Mutism, Social Anxiety and Social Phobia (Social Anxiety Disorder); but looks and acts as a normal person, you'll never know he has that, unless you know about it.

• Only if at least one of them is mentally stable...

• I also have depression, I have a type of autism as well. We may function differently but we are the same as everybody else. If they can't see past it then they have their own issues.