Am I too young for a boyfriend?

So this guy in my class asked me out. I really really like him, but I'm afraid im too young to have a boyfriend. (I'm twelve) My mother said if I like him and if he's a good kid she'll allow me to date him, and he is. He has extremely good grades, comes from a nice family, and is a very good kid. He had a girlfriend before, but they didn't really do anything that was inappropriate or wrong for their age. Their relationship lasted for about a year until she cheated on him. (I know for a fact that this is true) and when she did he was very sad for about the whole summer. Now it's a few months after and he asked me out. I'm a very mature kid, and my parents know that. They know I won't do anything wrong. I have no desire for sex or anything like that. Neither does he. I could definitely see this going somewhere far, but I'm still afraid I'm too young. My mother actually encourages it, because I have anxiety (if you couldn't already tell) and I'm very bad at making friends and such. I was friends with this boy for a few years so I know him well. Anyways what do you think? Am I too young to date?

Most Helpful Guy

• Do I think you could sustain a relationship at twelve? No. Do I think you two can hang and enjoy time together? Most definitely.

What Guys Said 3

• Honestly, it's a dicey concept. You're young, dating is basically going to amount to seeing him at school, I would imagine. I feel like you'll stress yourself out and miss things that you would otherwise enjoy. There's nothing wrong with having friends of the opposite sex. Stick to that, in my opinion.

Also, if this helps you relax at all, when I was twelve I was a WRECK worrying about all this stuff, girls, other kids... and I can tell you confidently that none of it killed me, and I feel silly when I think of the things that used to worry me. You'll make it! It's all part of the process of growing up.

• Yes you are

• Hi I'm 13 and I started dating at a very low age (too low to start) but I am smart and a good kid and since it's ok with your parents (mom) I would say it's fine just don't go too far like if he dose leave but it will bring down your anxiety and it will open you up to more friends to hang out with

What Girls Said 7

• Too young for a relationship, as one is defined.

But hang at the mall? Watch a movie at one of your houses? A night at the arcade? Out with a group of friends? Go for it!

• 12 is way too young. Your mom wants you to have friends that are both genders (male/female), not necassarily a boyfriend. You know what I mean? You're still at that innocent age where being friends with a boy isn't that big of a deal yet. Come 2-3 years, you probably cannot befriend boys anymore without someone having some kind of crush. Trust me, relationships aren't what they're cracked up to be, at 12 you should be focused on having a good time. Trust me, when you're 16, and old enough to start dating, you'll understand what I mean ;-)

• I believe you should give it a try. :)
    You're 12, an age where you begin experimenting. You have an awesome mom if she's allowing you to take this step.
    If things don't work out with the boy, because you feel like you're too young, then if he really likes you and if you really like him, you both can wait for each other until you're both ready. But I suggest you should give the boy and yourself a chance 😊 good luck!

• Thanks for the advice

• I'm not sure you should call it a relationship but you should date him in my opinion. Because I didn't date much when I was young now when I get into a relationship I never know what to do cause I've never had a bf before. It'll be good for you and preparing to meet your one and only. Go ahead, be glad your parents are supportive.

• yes you are too young to date. Why worey about a relationship? worey about school and enjoy CHILDHOOD!! Most of us adults wish to be in your shoes and be kids again. You can hang out with him and become best friends. Boys are a headache and worst of all... a HEARTache💔 you dont want ro experience that until you are memtally and emotionally prepared for that. I did not worry about boys until I was a Junior in high school...

• Your mom clearly doesn't think so. Why should you?

• When you start having romantic feelings you're old enough