Would you allow your significant other to have a best friend of the opposite sex?

Guys: Would you allow your girlfriend to have and hang out with her best (straight) guy friend?
GIrls: Would you allow your boyfriend to have and hang out with his best (straight) girl friend?

Would you have any conflicts about this?
What are some hard limits or rules you would make for your significat other?
How would you communicate with your signifcant other about these things?

Most Helpful Girl

• I would definitely have a problem with it because I am the jealous type, but it's his choice who he wants to be friends with.
    I would make some hard rules that they aren't allowed to hang out alone together, there would have to be another one of his male best friends there with him and that he'd have to text me the whole time. He expects the same of me when I hang out with my best friends since we are both the jealous type.
    This was actually brought up about a month ago, and this has made up both happy and allows us to have peace of mind when we know one of us is hanging out with a best friend of the opposite sex

What Guys Said 7

• I think "no kissing etc" But as long as she was also spending time with me, then sure, go ahead :) Having friends outside the relationship is good. Of whatever sex. As long as they're not having sex (unless you're all in to that sort of thing?)

• It's not up to me if she's "allowed" to have a best male friend. Thats her choice and I'd respect it.

• I don't believe in friendship between both gender. One end up wanting something from the other person. Even if that's my opinion, she can still have her guy friend, but I wouldn't approve them hanging out alone or doing activities just both of them, totally not.

• As long they didn't use to date. that would be weird and one of them would still have feelings. Other than that I don't see why not. also they can't be hugging 24/7 that might be weird.

• I find girls have way more problems with this than guys... One of my best friends is a girl, and I have never and will never allow jealousy to destroy that friendship.

I would never ask my girlfriend to stop having a guy best friend either.

I think the only limitation, is that the friend should predate the relationship ie, don't start a new friendship with someone while you are dating someone else.

• I would yea

• Everytime I've heard that guys had been cheated the most used phrase.
    "She told me he was just a friend."

What Girls Said 3

• Of course I would.

• Yeah of course, he can have female friends.
    I would probably be a little jealous about that best friend, though. Especially if they are always giving hugs or something. It wouldn't be cool xD

• There really isn't any allowing, they would more than likely already have one since most guys do