Who benefits the most from marriage?

Simply put, which gender benefits the most from marriage?

• The girls
  • The guys

Most Helpful Guy

• I can not choose if my answer isn't listed. Marriage is supposed to be a partnership where both can benifit from the other. You make it sound like an instatition of incarceration lol. but I choose to think and feels more a mutually need fulfilling experience.

• I wasn't implying that one gender benefits while the other doesn't or is even incarcerated. Think of different mating strategy for humans, where there is no marriage, where you are in a constant 'dating' mode. Would it be better or worse for men/women?

• You mean guys aren't that nice to girls after marrying them because the chase is over? Makes sense to me. So women get less attention while the men get the chance to relax a bit.

• In some cases yes the chase is over and they get lax in showing their mate the attention and affection that they showered them with during the chase as you eloquently put it. Now I am not saying all guys do it mind you.
      On the flip side there are also some women that are guilty of the same behavior , less per say then guys. That's just my opinion tho

What Girls Said 11

• I voted girls but really it depends on the marriage and your definition of benefit.

As an example. If I married the man I'm with now. And I wouldn't change how I behave. So if I lay out the things we do for each other, you'll see what I mean.

What I do:

-I make him breakfast, lunch and dinner
    -I clean his flat for him
    -I get him up for work
    -I try and help with bills. I say try because I aim to but because of how little I earn it rarely happens
    -I'm supportive of him
    -I keep him company and I keep him sane. I'm the person he vents to, the person he cuddles to, the person who's there when he turns around. I make him laugh, and smile.

What he does for me:

-He looks after me. He keeps an eye on me.
    -He pays for me to live. While I stay with him, he pays for my food, etc. while I'm here.
    -He's supportive of me - he has stuck by me through work troubles, health problems, all the way to basic friend troubles
    -He puts up with me and drives me places (I can drive, he prefers to though)
    -He helps me with cleaning, but due to my jobs I'm much faster. So I appreciate the help but I whirlwind around him.

So. If we married, I would still do my part, I'd still help him. And he would probably still continue the things.

Who do you think benefits? I think I do, personally, but others may say him.

• Apparently men get more out of it. Which is very interesting, lol. family-studies.org/.../ http://www.rense.com/general33/advan.htm

• I saw two points there:

1) sex problems after birth, don't know how men benefit from this
      2) increased duties for women after marrying men. The studies also mention that men household duties remained the same, that means they were doing the same duties as they were single, to me that means they were: cleaning/repairing/cooking.

I curious what household duties women did in that study?

• Also this seems very interesting even though it doesn't talk about who benefits, www.tesh.com/.../1318

• I was more interested who benefits the most out of monogamous relationship in couples, so the question could benefit an update. Thanks for showing that.

• Both benefit from it if the relationship is good and they're married for the right reasons. If the marriage ends, it's generally the woman who benefits from that.

• There really ought to have been a third option.

• Which one?

• There are too many variables, as others said, in order to know that both benefit equally. I would say it would classify as ''I don't know".

• Thinking more I would say the whole species benefits, so 'Everyone' would have been a valid third option.

• Generally both of them benefit from each other equally. That is if they truly love each other and plan to make it work.

• No one benefits from it if both are unhappy or one is unhappy.

• Well I'd like to think that both parties should benefit from it. Orherwise, what's the point?

• Both people if they are in It for the right reasons

• Both if theirs equal effort

• A lot of medical studies suggest married men have many positives, health-wise, on average, compared to single ones:

www.askmen.com/.../...rriage-benefits-for-men.html

• There are benefits for women, too, but they aren't quite as strong:

magazine.foxnews.com/.../love-better-mens-or-womens-health

• Thanks for the input, I also think the same as you, my reasons seem to be more related to 'stress level hormones' which in my opinion affects ones life more then household duties

• Leisure time is definitely a key player in stress levels, though.

It'd be interesting to know if the post recession workweek of longer salaried hours and less time off reverses longevity if it continues.

• Depends on the marriage, their roles and which way you look at it. There's so many types of relationships, can't really say one benefits more, because it varies and depends which kind of benefits you're looking at.

What Guys Said 9

• children do. it is statistically proven that children from two parent households fare much better in life... this of course isn't to safe that a single parent can't successfully raise a child but that two parent households statistically and significantly benefit a child

• their future kids :-P

• children obiviously..

• Its hard to quantify who benefits more since there's a lot of variables. Generally both sides benefit from marriage just in different ways but when it comes to divorce I'd say girls usually benefit more from that.

• Marriage was invented before divorce I suppose, at least the modern for of divorce where you get the chance to give half of everything you have got to your ex-wife.

• Women benefit more, overall, in marriage, than men.

Not saying men don't benefit at all, but benefit less.

• The girls, they get a safe guarantee for half the money

• Honestly, ill have to say women. Doesn't mean men can't get anything from marriage, but i think women hold more of the cards

• Which are those cards?

• if the marriage goes sour, women usually benefit the most from it from what I've seen

• Doesn't that mean that for women to be in an un-married state is better? So that means that guys benefit more from being married.

• The girls. Marriage is for the woman.

• Please elaborate more.

• Most girl have been dreaming about their wedding since they like...12. Some woman need marriage to be happy. The very act of being married provided a genuinely fulfilling, validating and psychologically rewarding experience for most women.

• You mean they were conditioned by the society (parents, teachers) to want marriage? Of course fulfilling the requirement imposed by society would bring them a validating experience.

It doesn't necessary mean that women benefit more then men out of marriage.

• i think its even for the most part
    divorce is a completely different story