How far into your relatioship were you when "the question" was popped?

How far into your relationship were you when you/they asked for marriage?

I was only six months in and it lasted about 20 miserable years. How long in were you and how long has it been since then? Are you happy?

What Girls Said 1

• I'm not married. I think at least a year is good.

• Agreed, it takes some time to really know the true person. It would be difficult to achieve faster than a year, as it takes time to settle in to who we are, I think.

What Guys Said 1

• :/ I don't like the idea of legal marriage. If I can't rely on her being faithful without the law, what's the point?

• In some states, common law comes into effect so you are married whether you ask or not. Marriage is certainly no guarantee of fidelity, neither is "faithful" church follower / Sunday school teacher (like the bumper sticker says... Ask me how I know). In my mind, aside from the legal ramifications (which you might mostly get when common law marriage occurs) it's a promise, I supose. ... interesting question to think about, though.