Does anyone use online dating sites?

If so, how was your experience?

What were the pros?

What were the cons?

What site did you use?

Most Helpful Guy

• I toyed around with a few sites for a while. The results were abysmal. First off, many of the sites were terrible at search options for people local to you. Secondly, although the girls all complain that the guys were horndogs looking for hookups, there were very few women on the site who were honest about their appearance. Everyone had just a head shot or a picture from 5 years (and 25 pounds) ago. Then, when they gave me their myspace or facebook or (even worse) met in person, they were totally different in terms of appearance. Looks aren't everything, but the fact that you lied about them makes me think that it's not just your physical appearance that leaves something to be desired.

What Girls Said 7

• I met my boyfriend about a year ago on match. Com. Prior to that, I met about 15 guys that I met on match and some of those men were strange and bizarre to say the least.

What I have found is that there are a ton of people that have issues, that lie about who they are and what they are into. One guy I met online; we talked for about a month before we met for coffee; well the pics on his profile were not him at all. Another guy I met was actually married and lied about that. Another guy who I met on match also had a profile on alt. Com and on that site he was looking for a slave and was into BDSM. I think if you end up meeting someone in person, make sure that what they tell you doesn't change. Ask the same questions over and over only in different ways. And make sure that you get the same answers. The thing is when people lie, they forget their lies. The truth is something that a person will never forget. Another tip. Meet for coffee so that its a short first date, google their name and see what comes up. You would be surprised at how much devient behavior there is to be found online. Write me anytime if you need any more advice and good luck!

• I used OKCupid for about 3 months before deleting my account and leaving. It was incredibly frustrating. I wasn't looking for casual sex, but rather to talk to people online, get to know them, and maybe meet up to see if things might progress. But all that ever happened was guys messaging me and saying things like "you are hot, you got a webcam? Wanna cyber? " or something equally illiterate and creepy. I specifically said on my profile that I wasn't looking for casual sex and that I was looking to get to know people first, but I still got these messages almost constantly. Occasionally a guy would talk to me nicely for a few messages, but then start to get creepy out of nowhere.

I did talk with one guy who seemed genuinely nice, and he was just using the site to meet and talk to people; he had a girlfriend already, and had her permission to use the site just to chat with people. He never tried to make a move on me or anything, and it seemed he was being truly faithful to his girlfriend. He was really nice, though, and we just chatted as friends for a while. That was what I was hoping to get out of the dating site experience. Unfortunately, the creepy messages were too frequent and annoying, so I left the site. Overall, I didn't find the online dating scene too helpful, and I think it's just better to go out and meet people in the real world.

• I've used it for about 1-2 years.

Pros: You meet other like-minded people who probably just like you, didn't have time or the opportunity to meet other girls/guys through daily social life. You also get to choose their looks and basically expose yourself for more opportunities.

Cons: (since I'm a female) 80% of the guys are looking for sex/casual dating, 15% are freaks or very "marginalized" people (eg. With too many quirks, depression, personality problems) and only 5% are normal, but lead busy lives etc.

My personal recommendation is if you're really desperate, using the site is best for your personal exposure. But people use online dating sites for a reason, and most likely they're not the type that you dream of.

• I tried Match. Com. Was very non-plussed by the entire experience. Most of the guys are just looking for more avenues to have sex, and they didn't seem to really read what I had written in my profile. Nowhere in it did I write that I was looking for sex, men that are old enough to be members of AARP or potentially stalked.

I also found that in dealing with the very few sane men on the site, that meeting some one on the computer is quite different than in person. You aren't able to see their mannerisms, hear the tone of their voice, all the things that make each of us unique and to some attractive. So in my mind I had attached mannerisms, etc that I found attractive, then when they don't meet this fantasy I had made up in my mind, it was a let down. Oh, and I had one man that posted his 30 year old son's photo as his own. Needless to say, I was rather shocked when he arrived for our "date". Maybe try volunteering:-)

• Yes, I am currently using eHarmony. So far it has been okay. I will say that you have to be very patient, it's a waiting game because you have to wait for the person of interest to respond to your questions and people move slowly others quickly.

In the meantime, I'm going out to mixers after work to meet people face to face. Gotta keep your options open.

• Yep. Most people use dating sites today... they just don't admit it to anyone ;)

• No I have never used this kind of dating because I think that most of the people there are lying about their personality.

What Guys Said 1

• I had used online dating sites for about a year and I had mixed results, so I can offer a male perspective here. The pluses included the availability of choices. You could review many profiles, and try to find the type of girl you wanted; looks, interests, etc. The negatives are mostly what you would find anywhere. People who are dishonest and phony, and people who are much different in person, than online. Also, some were downright scary! I did it mostly for the convenience. I didn't have a lot of time to go places because I was busy a lot with work. I also wasn't into the bar scene, and that's probably the most common social scene!

I met my present girlfriend online, so it worked for me. We have been together for about two years now. We deal with the same highs and lows as any couple, but at least we met each other. I wouldn't have met her any other way, but on-line. But before I found her, I dated about many women. Some of these were multiple dates. This was generally a very negative experience before I found the girl I'm with now. I found that women are the same as men on these sites. There are just as many "creepy" girls out there as there are guys, based on my experience. Many left out important details from their profiles, like their true weight and appearance. Average build for some, turned out to be 250 pounds +! There's nothing wrong with larger women, but at least be honest about it. Then there were the ones that, after you did finally talk to them, went into the phone sex mode. These were the really creepy ones. One girl, in particular, did this all the time. I swear she could have had a 900 number, and charged for it. Very disturbing! Then there were the players. A lot of them. Women who told you how much they wanted you, how you were the one for them, etc. , only to find they are telling the same thing to other guys, as well! 2,4,10, - who knows how many? I saw one girl's string on her computer, by accident, while I was at her house. She was telling another guy the same things she said to me, while I was on my way to her house to see her. She was arranging a date with him, before I got there! All the time, making me think we were "exclusive. " Then there were the two who offered oral sex on the first date! One who wanted me to sleep with her the same night, as our first date. Actually, two like that! So there you go; loose and creepy women, players, and liars and cheats. That, before I finally found the right one.

On-line dating is just a social method for meeting people. No better or worse than going to bars, or anything else. You meet the same good and bad people. If used properly, and you have the patience, it can work.

BTW, I used Yahoo and Match. Com. I checked out eHarmony, but it was like dealing with the IRS. I have heard that this site does work. (if you don't mind the red tape)