Do you refuse to date a single mom?

Or a single dad for that matter? Why or why not?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sorry, I don’t mean to offend, but I would absolutely not date a single father at this phase in my life and I don’t ever intend on doing so.
    All children are blessings and I hate to say it but, that child would feel like baggage. Even though I logically recognize a child is much greater than that term. That child means a woman they used to f*ck is always going to be an active, primary part of their life simply because they share a child together. I am really not interested in the possible drama or friction that may cause. I don’t want to have to deal with any baby mama drama. I don’t want to feel like I have to rush my maturing/growth process because there will be a kid around whom I need to make a good impression for. Most of all, I don’t want to worry about getting attached to a child I have no legal rights to.

Generally, I just feel like I didn’t be careful sexually and make sure I didn’t get pregnant just so I could end up taking care of another woman’s seed. And while single moms and single dads claim that they don’t want the person they’re dating to take care of their child, they’re not keeping it real. Eventually if you plan on getting married, they’re going to want their child to be treated with the same amount of love and care other children with the new person would receive.

• No offense taken. I had the same opinion you did for a long time. I think I had a change of heart because I got older and options are becoming more scarce. Personally, I still don't think I'm ready to take on the responsibilities of a parent, or a baby sitter for that matter.

• Yeah it’s crazy how many people have kids outside of wedlock!

What Girls Said 9

• Single mom here. I'd date a single father. He's got to be active in his childrens lives though... None of this weekend dad shit.

I'd also date a man without kids. But unfortunately it seems the general consensus amongst guys is to avoid us like the plague... That or we're ripe for no-strings attached pickings. ;)

It's too bad because us parents have a lot of love to give, not to mention a no-bullshit approach to relationships. However, the real prize is having little feet scampering behind you and an innocent heart accepting you in your entirety. Getting a hand in raising a child is the most rewarding experience I think most will ever have, whether they're adoptive or biological. Love is all the same.

What about you Acciptor?

• I'm a guy with no kids yet nevertheless I'd still date a single mom with a kid. In my early 20s I had a different opinion and would avoid them like the plague as you say it. The way I see it, if a girl knows how to raise and take care of a child, then she would know how to take care of me as well :). In fact, was recently dating and flirting with a single mom, but things didn't go the way i hoped. Not because she had a kid but because of situational and occupational circumstances.

• I'm sorry things didn't work out the way you had hoped it would. I've been where you're. That's really too bad, but hey, life gets in the way right. Aside from that, am glad it hasn't put you off the idea that single moms are dateable. :)

• Thanks but it's ok. She wound up rejecting me in the end. Once I lost my job, I didn't get to see her as often and it was impossible to make time to hang out with her ever again. One thing I learned when I was going out with her was how much more mature she was than other 23 year old girls. I'm 29 and in some ways she was more mature than me.

• I'm a single mother, so absolutely I would date a single dad. Some people will not understand till they're in some else's shoes with kids, at the end of the day everyone needs love regardless of their situation.

• I concur. Even though I don't have any kids of my own, I believe that if a girl knows how to take care of a kid, then she certainly would know how to take care of me. I tried to date a single mom a couple months ago, but it didn't work out the way I hoped.

• I am currently dating a single, divorced father of two. He was married for 20 years. His children are 16 and 23. I have not met them yet, but we have been talking about it recently.

I would only not date a single parent, if they had several children by several different people. It shows a lack of commitment and a lack of planning.

• Well, my kids are adults so it's not an issue for me with guys.

However, my current boyfriend has a little boy and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• No I wouldn't at all. I'm very family oriented woman and if anything, dating a single dad only appeals more to me. I love children! And the fact that he has a child may be a huge sign that he is that much more willing to settle down.

• I'd date a single dad. I'm a single mom after all.

• Out of curiosity, does being a single mom affect that opinion? Supposing you weren't a single parent. I wouldn't mind dating a single mom.

• I wouldn't have a problem with it either way. If there is a connection, then why not. I'm open to new experiences.

• I'll definitely date a single father. He needs to be active in his kids life, though.

• im married a single dad. its okay for me. more matured

• Not at my age.. Its more then likely they are..

What Guys Said 11

• No, I wouldn't refuse to date her just because she's a mom. Whether or not it fails depends entirely on what she expects out of the situation and how well we get along. Single moms are women in need of love like everyone else, and children don't choose their father. If she's willing to accept me, I will accept her.

• I would have to know more about why she is a single mom. It is not an automatic deal breaker, but it is a red flag worthy of further inquiry.

• Depends on my age and her stability.

• errr not my thing...

• I can date her but not get serious

• No way. I don't like kids anyway, so having to be a dad to some other guy's kids would be horrific.

• I REFUSEEEEEEEE

• Ehh... don't think I could with how I did try to date single mothers. They just seem to have too little time on their hands and them having kids made it harder for me to get a date in.

• At my age, yes.

• For me to do that, she'd have to be a special something for me to consider it

• absolutely

• as to why, why would i? and i dont have to. nothing good is in it for me but just risks.

i try so hard not to get anyone prego for a reason